[News] ATI and Nvidia Compete for Linux Love in Graphics Stack

  • Subject: [News] ATI and Nvidia Compete for Linux Love in Graphics Stack
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 01:00:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

ATI releases open-source graphics drivers for Evergreen hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the high-end graphics cards were
| released months ago, ATI just this week
| announced the availability of open-source
| drivers for the Evergreen family of devices.
`----

http://www.drivershq.com/News/Drivers/ATI-releases-open-source-graphics-drivers-for-Evergreen-hardware/101/461.aspx

AMD and Nvidia bitchfight over open source support

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, many pertaining to the brotherhood
| of linux have long had a gripe with AMD over
| its perceived âlesserâ support, an issue
| which really came to a head back in 2007,
| when things were possibly at their most dire
| in terms of AMD open source support.
|
| When we contacted the firm to find out why it
| was that it had such a bad rep on the linux
| street, we were told by John Bridgman of the
| firmâs software development engineering group
| that the image was undeserved.
`----

http://www.techeye.net/software/amd-and-nvidia-bitchfight-over-open-source-support

AMD defends itself from Nvidia OpenCL attack

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week Nvidia and AMD squared off
| over support for open source drivers, and it
| seems neither company is ready to lay down
| the handbag just yet â this time against the
| backdrop of OpenCL.
`----

http://www.techeye.net/software/amd-defends-itself-from-nvidia-opencl-attack

Recent:

A Nouveau 3D Driver That Works For Old NVIDIA Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| This afternoon, however, a new Mesa DRI
| driver has emerged for Nouveau that
| provides working 3D support for older
| NVIDIA hardware.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzk1NA

Ubuntu Has Another Special ATI Catalyst Driver?

,----[ Quote ]
| The past three releases of Ubuntu Linux
| have included unreleased ATI Catalyst
| drivers. It started with Ubuntu 8.10, which
| got an early-access driver as the official
| Catalyst Linux driver that was available to
| the public at the time had not supported X
| Server 1.5. With Ubuntu 9.04, AMD was
| running behind at supporting X Server 1.6
| as found in the Jaunty Jackalope, so it too
| received an early ATI driver.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzk1MQ

X Server 1.7.4 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 1.7.4 of the X.Org Server has been
| released this morning. This point release
| continues to bring new bug-fixes to the X
| Server 1.7 series branch since its release
| last year. All major development work
| continues to be focused on X Server 1.8,
| which is expected for release in March.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzg2NQ

X Server 1.8 Snapshot 2 Released