[News] GNU/Linux Tablets with Free Software or Google Own Stack

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Tablets with Free Software or Google Own Stack
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 01:26:35 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

iFreeTablet â the open source iPad competitor from Spain

,----[ Quote ]
| Competition for the Apple iPad is already
| threatening to come from many different, well-
| known companies. Google and HTC may have a
| tablet this year, Microsoft certainly has a few
| running Windows 7 from its partner
| manufacturers. But another tablet looks
| promising and comes from a complete unknown.
`----

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/ifreetablet-the-open-source-ipad-competitor-from-spain-2010023/

Chromium code changes add more weight to Google tablet speculation

,----[ Quote ]
| Evidence supporting the theory that Google is
| planning to release its own tablet computer is
| mounting, according to new online reports.
`----

http://www.lakestarmedia.com/blog/2010/02/05/chromium-code-changes-add-more-weight-to-google-tablet-speculation/

Recent:

Where are the Linux tablets?

,----[ Quote ]
| In my opinion, the ideal OS for a tablet PC
| would be a Linux-based OS running the Elive
| distribution. This distribution would be
| lightweight enough, yet have plenty of 3D eye
| candy for a modern desktop. The Elive desktop
| would be ideal for a touchscreen-based
| hardware. Yes, this is me showing favoritism,
| but if you really put some thought to it, the
| E17 desktop is perfect for the touchscreen. If
| youâve not experienced Elive, download a Live
| CD of it and try it out. Once you have it
| running, imagine it being used on a tablet PC.
| The only hitch would be how to initiate some
| of the compiz features without having the
| keyboard handy. Of course, after seeing what
| the Elive team has done so far, any hitches to
| tablet migration would be minor.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1258

Android Tablets vs. Apple iPad: Comparison/Review

,----[ Quote ]
| With the launch of Appleâs new iPad this week,
| everyone seems to have their eyes tuned into
| the tablet market. Well jump on over to
| Gizmodo for the full review and comparison of
| the iPad, HP Slate, JooJoo, and a few Android
| tablets (Notion Ink Adam, Dell Mini 5, Archos
| 7 Android).
`----

http://phandroid.com/2010/01/29/android-tablets-vs-apple-ipad-comparisonreview/

Google Enters the Tablet Fray