[News] Audio Professional Chooses GNU/Linux

- From Windows to Linux: a sound decision

,----[ Quote ]
| When Beasley first looked at Linux, it was
| Mandrake (now Mandriva) with KDE 2.0 that he
| picked up along with a PC magazine. "My
| initial impression was that I could survive
| in that environment," he said.
|
| But it took seven years before Beasley
| decided to make the move. His Windows set-up
| caused him constant headaches, with the
| crashes of both applications and operating
| system, and given the level of use he was
| putting his machines to, he had to reinstall
| at least twice a year. The software also
| imposed severe limitations on creativity. All
| this time, he kept track of developments in
| audio software for Linux through the website
| of Dave Phillips, whom he describes as "one
| of the great movers and shakers in Linux
| audio."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/36698-from-windows-to-linux-a-sound-decision

Recent:

The five biggest digital audio duds of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Songsmith. The idea wasn't all that bad.
| Karaoke is fun. Making music on computers is
| fun. So why not, reasoned some Microsoft
| researchers, create a program that fills in
| audio accompaniment as users sing.
| Unfortunately, the $29.95 price and
| unbelievably mockable promotional video
| turned Songsmith into an Internet
| laughingstock. Later videos featuring
| Songsmith's accompaniment to the vocal tracks
| of songs like Queen's "We Will Rock You" and
| Van Halen's "Running With the Devil"
| highlighted the silliness.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10420476-93.html