[News] With Android, Probably First Time There is More Than One Linux

  • Subject: [News] With Android, Probably First Time There is More Than One Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:20:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linus Torvalds: Google's Nexus One First Mobile Phone I Don't Hate

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds, the inventor of the Linux
| kernel, has an absolute disdain for mobile
| phones. All of the ones he has purchased in
| the past, the man writes on his personal
| blog, ended up being "mostly used for
| playing Galaga and Solitaire on long
| flights" even though they were naturally
| all phones run on open source operating
| systems.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/07/AR2010020701126.html

Torvalds' Nexus One endorsement may be regretted

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope people will understand that
| following Torvaldsâ blog post extolling the
| Google Nexus One.
|
| Apparently Linus has the same problem my
| son does (along with millions of other
| people). Directions are not his strong
| suit. So for him, Google navigation was a
| killer app.
|
| Trouble is, in many ways Linus Torvalds is
| not âjust a programmer.â Heâs a brand name.
| He is, however reluctantly, a celebrity. So
| a simple blog post can read like an
| endorsement.
|
| [...]
|
| Google is trying to build a competitive
| ecosystem in Android, and Android is not
| the only Linux-based system in the mobile
| space. Itâs like saying which one of your
| children you like best.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5813

Android versus Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Android at odds with Linux after the
| removal of Android device drivers from the
| Linux source code tree or is this business
| as usual for the Linux community and
| nothing new? The H looks at the issues.
|
| [...]
|
| Google's Android development takes place
| behind closed doors, with the company's own
| Linux source tree. This isn't an uncommon
| model at Google; it runs its own source
| tree for its internally deployed Linux,
| allowing them to optimise for its specific
| uses for the operating system.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Android-versus-Linux-924563.html

The New Era of Big Company Forks

,----[ Quote ]
| I was intrigued to read Greg Kroah-
| Hartman's analysis of what's gone wrong
| with the Android fork of Linux, and the
| discussion that followed on lwn.net. Like
| Greg, I am hopeful that the Android
| platform has a future that will work
| closely with upstream developers. I also
| have my own agenda: I believe Android/Linux
| is the closest thing we have to a viable
| fully FaiF phone operating system platform
| to take on the proprietary alternatives
| like the BlackBerry and the iPhone.
|
| I believe Greg's comments hint at a ânew
| eraâ problem that the FLOSS community
| hasn't yet learned to solve. In the âold
| daysâ, we had only big proprietary
| companies like Apple and Microsoft that had
| little interest in ever touching copylefted
| software. They didn't want to make
| improvements and share them. Back then (and
| today too) they prefer to consume all the
| permissively licensed Free Software they
| can, and release/maintain proprietary forks
| for years.
|
| I'm often critical of Google, but I must
| admit Google is (at least sometimes) not
| afraid of dumping code on a regular basis
| to the public, at least when it behooves
| them to do it.
`----

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2010/02/08/android-linux-google.html

10 Reasons Why the Linux Community Could Influence iPhone Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the weekend, Torvalds wrote on a
| personal blog that although he can't stand
| mobile phones, he was pleasantly surprised
| by Google's Nexus One smartphone. Torvalds
| called the device a "winner" and said he's
| happy with its design. And since the phone
| runs a version of Linux, he was even more
| willing to pick it up.
|
| The importance of Torvalds' endorsement of
| the Nexus One can't be understated. In many
| ways, the Linux community follows his lead.
| When he offers an opinion, the community
| rallies behind him. The Nexus One will be
| no different. And considering that the
| Nexus One competes against Apple's iPhone,
| Torvalds' endorsement could have a more
| profound impact on iPhone sales than we
| might expect.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/10-Reasons-Why-the-Linux-Community-Could-Influence-iPhone-Sales-124461/

App Store craziness: banning the word 'Android'

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok this is crazy. PC Worldâs JR Raphael
| reports that Apple has apparently forbidden
| a developer from using the word âAndroidâ
| in his appâs description.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5974

Open Symbian: New World Order or Big Yawn?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Symbian finding its way back through
| FOSS? "Symbian is on its way out," says
| Martin Espinoza, a blogger at Hyperlogos.
| "Even Nokia knows it, which is why their
| flagship product -- the N900 -- is based on
| Linux." On the other hand, the news "is a
| fine example of a near monopoly graciously
| sharing with the world in order to compete
| fairly and with better products," says
| blogger Robert Pogson.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Open-Symbian-New-World-Order-or-Big-Yawn-69290.html