[News] Commentary About Free Software Community Operations

  • Subject: [News] Commentary About Free Software Community Operations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:57:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The virtuous circle model of support for open source

,----[ Quote ]
| However, not all users will become
| contributors, and not all contributors will
| become developers. In fact, the numbers of
| people progressing along this scale of
| contribution is very small. Nevertheless, just
| one contributor is a reduction in the
| centralised cost of development and thus a
| step towards sustainability for the project.
`----

http://osswatch.jiscinvolve.org/2010/02/10/the-virtuous-circle-model-support-for-open-source/

What Matters to Open Source: Licensing or Community?

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to defining open source,
| licensing is a critical topic since it's the
| license that helps to make an application or
| effort open. But for Michael Tiemann,
| president of the Open Source Initiative, it's
| not necessarily the only key success factor
| for open source projects.
|
| That might sound strange considering that
| licensing is the bread and butter for the OSI,
| the body that determines whether a license is
| open source. But Tiemann , who also serves as
| the vice president of Open Source Affairs at
| Red Hat, recognizes that licensing isn't the
| be all and end all for open source.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/interviews/6980/1/

Recent:

Open Source Licensing and Community

,----[ Quote ]
| I agree, license and copyright are factors in
| creating and fostering communities but I
| donât think itâs the most important set of
| factors. License and community, while related
| are very much separate issues. Open source
| tends to fetish license and thus itâs over-
| emphasized in conversations where it at best
| a contributing factor.
`----

http://blogs.rivetlogic.com/rdanner/2010/01/16/open-source-licensing-and-community/

An Interview With Jono