[News] Privacy Debate Heats up: Phones as Tracking Devices

  • Subject: [News] Privacy Debate Heats up: Phones as Tracking Devices
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:36:29 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Feds push for tracking cell phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Two years ago, when the FBI was stymied by
| a band of armed robbers known as the
| "Scarecrow Bandits" that had robbed more
| than 20 Texas banks, it came up with a
| novel method of locating the thieves.
|
| FBI agents obtained logs from mobile phone
| companies corresponding to what their
| cellular towers had recorded at the time of
| a dozen different bank robberies in the
| Dallas area. The voluminous records showed
| that two phones had made calls around the
| time of all 12 heists, and that those
| phones belonged to men named Tony Hewitt
| and Corey Duffey. A jury eventually
| convicted the duo of multiple bank robbery
| and weapons charges.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10451518-38.html

The Tor Project - Screw up those spying on you.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Tor Project is free software that helps
| you thwart attempts by third parties like
| you government who are interested in spying
| on your internet sojourn. It works by
| "bouncing your communications around a
| distributed network of relays run by
| volunteers all around the world: it
| prevents somebody watching your Internet
| connection from learning what sites you
| visit, and it prevents the sites you visit
| from learning your physical location."
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/02/tor-project-screw-up-those-spying-on.html

Appeals Court Backs EFF Push for Telecom Lobbying Documents Disclosure

,----[ Quote ]
| Today a federal appeals court rejected a
| government claim of "lobbyist privacy" to
| hide the identities of individuals who
| pressured Congress to grant immunity to
| telecommunications companies that
| participated in the government's
| warrantless electronic surveillance of
| millions of ordinary Americans. As the
| court observed, "There is a clear public
| interest in public knowledge of the methods
| through which well-connected corporate
| lobbyists wield their influence."
`----

http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2010/02/09

SWIFT Parliament debate with MalmstrÃm

,----[ Quote ]
| Commissioner MalmstrÃm defensive
| intervention in the European Parliament.
| She claims the agreement includes âan
| absolute prohibition on data mining â
| searches of the database can only be
| undertaken where it is possible to show a
| reason to believe that the subject of the
| search is engaged in terrorism.â
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/02/11/swift-parliament-debate-with-malmstrom/

European Swift bank data ban angers US

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament has blocked a key
| agreement that allows the United States to
| monitor Europeans' bank transactions -
| angering Washington.

Has HADOPI Driven the French Insane?

,----[ Quote ]