[News] Recording Industry (MAFIAA) Loses to Music Industry (Actual Artists)

  • Subject: [News] Recording Industry (MAFIAA) Loses to Music Industry (Actual Artists)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:38:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How Can The Music Industry Be Dead When More Music Is Being Produced And More Money Is Being Made?

,----[ Quote ]
| Kyle sent over yet another musician, named
| Nathan Harden, pulling out the "woe is me"
| schtick in an article claiming that this
| generation "killed rock 'n' roll." It hits
| on all the usual debunked points and only
| quotes industry sources on the major label
| side of the business, assumes that the only
| way to make money in the music business is
| by selling albums or songs, and doesn't
| even realize what a huge contradiction it
| makes in the process. It starts out by
| quoting record sales stats, but ignoring
| all of the recent studies that show that
| money hasn't gone away, it's just shifted
| to other channels -- and those channels are
| ones where the actual artists get more
| money. It's true that the major record
| labels are making less -- no one denies
| that. But it's folly to claim that this
| means the death of rock 'n' roll or music
| at all. Another recent study showed more
| music being released today than ever before
| in history.
|
| [...]
|
| Sorry, Nathan Harden, but you've been sold
| the myth that only record labels make the
| music industry and that only through
| selling records does the music industry
| work. That's simply not true. Yes, the
| record labels are having trouble, but rock
| 'n' roll isn't dying. It's thriving by
| adapting to this new market.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100208/0300578077.shtml

/Music/ industry is not the /recording/ industry (cartel/MAFIAA).

Photographer Thrilled That Apple Using His Photo As Default iPad Background, Despite No Official Agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| Given all that, I found this story about
| the photographer, Richard Misrach, whose
| photograph was chosen by Apple to be the
| default wallpaper for the iPad, quite
| interesting. That's because, while he's
| been talking to Apple for a while, the
| company only came to him days before the
| launch to ask to use the image, and no
| agreement had been worked out by the time
| the product launched with the photo there.

The New Middleclass Musicians: I Fight Dragons

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that on a typical record
| label deal, things don't really work that
| way for most musicians, either. It may work
| for the top of the top -- the ones that
| catch on quickly and become big. But for
| the majority of bands that sign with a
| major record label, they fail to really get
| big enough to matter, and the labels very
| quickly drop all support and the band
| becomes yet another unrecouped wonder.

Facebook Sends Lots Of Traffic To News Sites... Will They Start Demanding To Be Paid?

,----[ Quote ]
| Given their reactions to Google, it does
| seem like a reasonable question. Or will
| that only happen when Facebook is making
| much more money from its other lines of
| business, and those news execs get jealous?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100208/0348118080.shtml

Book Publishers. Stop Scaring Me.

,----[ Quote ]
| Hello book publishers. You're starting to
| scare me.
|
| I am a writer, but was a record label
| executive from 1989-2000 and am fascinated
| by parallels between the two industries.
| When it comes to the digitization of
| product and attempts to master/mangle the
| phenomenon of social media and file-
| sharing, the publishing business is where
| the music business was about 10 years ago.
| And although publishing probably sets its
| collective IQ (not to mention good manners)
| as superior to the music business, I can't
| find evidence that their reactions to
| industry sea change are substantially
| different.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-piver/book-publishers-stop-scar_b_452164.html

Book Publishers Beware! At iTunes, Expensive Music Equals Slower Sales.

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of complaints, last year the
| music labels finally got what they wanted
| from Appleâthe ability to raise prices on
| their songs. Last April, iTunes introduced
| a âvariable pricingâ scheme, which gave the
| labels the ability to move prices from 99
| cents a song to $1.29 (and for some tracks,
| down to 69 cents).
|
| The result? Music sales are slowing.
`----

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20100209/book-publishers-beware-at-itunes-expensive-music-equals-slower-sales/

Recent:

Sookman Deflates Pending Lists Claim to Vilify Artists

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh dear. I hadnât seen this post of Barryâs
| before he retweeted it. Um, how do I put
| this politely? Barry, you messed up.
|
|     Prof. Geist tries to taint the
|     recording industry as blatant copyright
|     infringers, without ever delving into
|     the industry wide accepted custom for
|     clearing mechanical rights. The pending
|     list system, which has been around for
|     decades, represents an agreed upon
|     industry wide consensus that
|     songwriters, music publishers (who
|     represent songwriters) and the
|     recording industry use and rely on to
|     ensure that music gets released and to
|     the market efficiently and the proper
|     copyright owners get compensated.
|
| But Barry, the recording industry are
| blatant copyright infringers. Or at least
| they sure give that impression. Letâs see:
|
| Cher sues UMG over royalties
|
| JoJo Sues Record Label
|
| TIMBALAND SUES RECORD LABEL
|
| Courtney Love Sues Record Label
|
| Allman Brothers Band sues record company
| for $13M
|
| Eminem Sues Record Label Over iTunes
| Royalties
|
| Beatles to sue record label
|
| Eurovision star sues record label over
| contract dispute
|
| Smashing Pumpkins sue record label over use | of songs in Pepsi promotional deals
|
| Travis Tritt sues record label
`----

http://madhatter.ca/?p=153

British cinemas see best performance in seven years

,----[ Quote ]
| Admissions hit 173.5m and combined box
| office takings in the UK and Ireland exceed
| Â1bn for first time
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/19/british-cinema-box-office-year

Offline Book "Lending" Costs U.S. Publishers Nearly $1 Trillion

,----[ Quote ]
| Hot on the heels of the story in
| Publisher's Weekly that "publishers could
| be losing out on as much $3 billion to
| online book piracy" comes a sudden
| realization of a much larger threat to the
| viability of the book industry. Apparently,
| over 2 billion books were "loaned" last
| year by a cabal of organizations found in
| nearly every American city and town. Using
| the same advanced projective mathematics
| used in the study cited by Publishers
| Weekly, Go To Hellman has computed that
| publishers could be losing sales
| opportunities totaling over $100 Billion
| per year, losses which extend back to at
| least the year 2000. These lost sales dwarf
| the online piracy reported yesterday, and
| indeed, even the global book publishing
| business itself.
`----

http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2010/01/offline-book-lending-costs-us.html

CBS permanently seals Jack Benny television masters

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I was informed by Peter Murray,
| Lorra-Lea's assistant, that she had talked
| with CBS' Vice President of Business
| Affairs, and "there are so many issues with
| those shows, that even if we took the time
| to figure it out, we still almost certainly
| wouldn't do the deal."  So that's it.
| Access to the Jack Benny television masters
| is sealed.
|
| In 1964, James Aubrey told Jack Benny that
| his weekly television series was terminated
| with the words, "YOU'RE THROUGH, OLD MAN!"
| Sadly, 46 years later, CBS has repeated the
| sentiment by condemning these shows to
| permanent silence.
`----

http://www.jackbenny.org/biography/other/cbs_permanently_seals_jack_benny.htm

ACTA Negotiations, Round 7 Agenda Posted

,----[ Quote ]
| The next (seventh) round of ACTA
| negotiations is scheduled for Guadalajara,
| Mexico next week.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4708/196/

Time To Recognize That The Recording Industry Is Not The Music Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| For a while now, we've tried very carefully
| to not make the mistake that is common in
| the press (and among politicians) to assume
| that "the recording industry" (i.e., the
| record labels) is "the music industry." The
| two are quite different. In fact, by almost
| every measure, the music industry has been
| thriving over the past few years, while the
| recording industry is in rapid decline. And
| yet, the two are regularly confused.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100119/0354137811.shtml

What are the âMusic Industriesâ?

,----[ Quote ]
| The term âmusic industryâ is a misnomer. In
| reality the âmusic industryâ is not one
| industry, it is several independent
| industries. This is an important
| distinction because if we say that there is
| a âcrisis in the music industryâ it
| suggests an equal amount of misfortune for
| everyone (musicians, the recording
| industry, the live-music industry, Internet
| radio, etc.) and in fact this not true.
| Misuse of the term âmusic industryâ
| distorts the reality of the situation. For
| example:
|
|     * The RIAA occasionally misrepresents
|     itself as being a figurehead for the
|     entire âmusic industryâ when in
|     actuality it is a trade organization
|     for a group of labels in the recording
|     industry.
|
|     * Peter Jamieson, chair of the British
|     Phonographic Industry (BPI), attempted
|     to speak about the âThe Music Industry
|     Crisisâ at an industry convention in
|     the UK in September 2003, but instead
|     outlined issues particular to the
|     recording sector.
|
| [...]
|
| While it may be difficult to completely
| eradicate the term âmusic industryâ from
| our everyday vernacular, journalists and
| media outlets should certainly be more
| conscious not to say âthe music industryâ
| when they specifically mean to say âthe
| recording industryâ.
`----

http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/what-are-the-music-industries.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Secret copyright treaty debated in DC: must-see video

,----[ Quote ]
| Two recurring points that Metalitz raised
| were that the secrecy in the treaty was a
| requirement of foreign negotiating
| partners, and the US's hands were tied; and
| that the treaty wouldn't require any of the
| "advanced" nations to change their law (he
| repeated the oft-heard unfounded slur that
| Canada is a rogue nation when it comes to
| copyright law).
|
| Both of these points are simply wrong. The
| country demanding that ACTA be kept secret
| is the good old US of A, whose strategy for
| this is being driven by former
| entertainment industry lawyers who have
| found new homes as senior officials in the
| Obama government (the Democrats are
| terrible on copyright, sadly -- we can
| thank Bill Clinton for the Digital
| Millennium Copyright Act). These lawyers
| are Metalitz's old pals, his colleagues in
| the decades he's spent winning special
| privileges and public subsidy for his rich
| clients.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/15/secret-copyright-tre-2.html

RIAA: Net neutrality shouldn't inhibit antipiracy

,----[ Quote ]
| The lobbying group for the top four
| recording companies wants to make sure that
| when regulations on Net neutrality are
| adopted, they don't impede antipiracy
| efforts.
|
| That's why the Recording Industry
| Association of America on Thursday asked
| the Federal Communications Commission to
| "adopt flexible rules" that free Internet
| service providers to fight copyright theft.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10435388-261.html

Oh, a new ACTA document

,----[ Quote ]
| How do you request it? Very simple, fill out
| the form and enter the document number
| 17779/09 as the document you request. Then
| the Council secretariat has 15 days to
| respond, either it would grant you access
| and submit the reasons for refusal.
|
| Here is stops for most persons. You have
| against 15 days for a confirmatory
| application. When the confirmatory
| application is denied you can complain to
| the EU-Ombudsman or sue the Commission.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/oh-a-new-acta-document/

Google DC Talk on ACTA

,----[ Quote ]
| Why does DG Trade want criminal sanctions
| from third nations when these instruments
| are not adopted in the âacquis
| communautaireâ yet? Unfortunately we cannot
| find out in their negotiation mandate from
| the Council because it is not disclosed.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/oh-a-new-acta-document/

Personal Luggage Will be Subject to ACTA

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the fairy tales being told about the
| oppressive ACTA is that it's only going to
| apply to large-scale criminal offenders, and
| that the Little People like you and me don't
| need to worry our pretty heads. But that's a
| lie, as this fascinating blog post has
| discovered:
|
|     It was very interesting to talk to Mr.
|     Velasco. He said the negotiations could
|     be understood, in a very very simplified
|     way, as you basically could get cheap
|     cars in exchange for IPR enforecement
|     laws.
|
|     Interestingly enough, his materials
|     published on the interenet also provided
|     some kind of explanation to why people
|     are afraid of having their iPods
|     searched. Under "What is new" in a
|     presentation about Enforcement of IPR
|     Mr. Velasco says:
|
|     [it] "No longer excludes from the scope
|     of the regulation counterfeit or pirated
|     goods in a traveler's personal baggage
|     where such goods are suspected to be
|     part of a larger-scale traffic."
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/01/personal-luggage-will-be-subject-to.html

Union des Consommateurs ACTA protest

,----[ Quote ]
| Quebec consumer protection group the Union
| des Consommateurs has joined the mounting
| storm of outrage levelled at the
| entertaiment industryâs ACTA plan.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/33691

Explaining The Copyright Bubble... And Why Big Corporations Want To Keep ACTA Secret

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100110/2302157699.shtml