[News] Patent Fronts Spread Across Europe (Including Ed Black, Who Received Millions from Microsoft)

  • Subject: [News] Patent Fronts Spread Across Europe (Including Ed Black, Who Received Millions from Microsoft)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:01:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The IP Observatory is already in place

,----[ Quote ]
| In the legal affairs committee JURI in the
| European Parliament, we have been
| discussing an initiative by the EU
| Commission to set up an âIP Observatoryâ
| that should monitor and combat all kinds of
| intellectual property infringements, from
| commercial goods counterfeiting to kids
| downloading films and music. Right now, we
| are in the process of drafting a
| resolution, known as the Gallo report, on
| the subject.
|
| [...]
|
| So much for the involvement of the European
| Parliament on this issue. We have been
| invited to hold an exchange of views in the
| JURI committee, and we are currently
| spending time on drafting a resolution on
| if and how the IP Observatory should be set
| up.
`----

http://christianengstrom.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/the-ip-observatory-is-already-in-place/

CCIA Launches IP Policy Blog

,----[ Quote ]
| The Computer & Communications Industry
| Association is launching its new
| intellectual property blog today to serve
| as a forum for tech policy discussions.
| With the Obama appointees now in place and
| Congress looking for ways to help the
| economy grow, CCIA is optimistic about
| seeing patent reform this year.
|
| âAs we talk about developing an innovation
| agenda to boost our economic recovery,
| patent reform and balanced copyright rules
| should be part of that discussion,â said
| CCIA President & CEO Ed Black. âCurrent
| patent policies favor some business models
| over others, but after years of discussion
| itâs time for this Congress to recognize
| what consensus there is and lead the
| country toward reforms that would create
| the most innovation and jobs -- and ideally
| allow for the next generation of
| innovation.â
`----

http://www.ccianet.org/index.asp?sid=5&artid=133&evtflg=False

Recent:

EPO: FSFE Does It by the Numbers

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/05/epo-fsfe-does-it-by-numbers.html

Same old Directive, new number

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you remember Council Directive 91/250/EEC of 14 May 1991 on the legal
| protection of computer programs? The Directive which requires EU members to
| protect computer programs as literary works and to provide for
| interoperability, decompilation and the making of back-up copies? Well, it is
| being repealed and re-enacted in consolidated form because a sufficient
| number of amendments have been made to it. It has now become Directive
| 2009/24/EC of 23 April 2009 on the legal protection of computer programs.
`----

http://the1709blog.blogspot.com/2009/05/same-old-directive-new-number.html

UK Patent Office Approves Software Patent... Rationalizes The Decision

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather than just saying "uh, the courts said so," it claims that it allowed
| the patent because it's "more than just a software program," saying that the
| invention was a "technical contribution." Apparently, the new rules mean that
| as long as software makes a "technical contribution" it can be patented.
| But... uh... what software doesn't make a "technical contribution" of some
| sort
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090507/0230134776.shtml

UK Allows Full-Blown Software Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| As readers of this blog will know, software cannot be patented in Europe âas
| suchâ; quite what that wretched âas suchâ means is the subject of major
| arguments. As I noted earlier this week, the European Patent Office is
| currently conducting a consultation into that and much else concerning the
| patentability of software, to which it is relatively well disposed.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2168

European Commission On ACTA: TRIPS Is Floor Not Ceiling

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/04/22/european-commission-on-acta-trips-is-floor-not-ceiling/