Re: From Windows to Linux: A sound decision

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Sunday 14 Feb 2010 13:51 : \____

> Marti van Lin pulled this Usenet boner:
>
>> By Sam Varghese
>> Wednesday, 10 February 2010 03:41
>>
>> [quote]
>> Five years ago, when Geoff Beasley decided to move his sound studio
>> business from a Windows-based one to a Linux-based setup, he had one
>> simple bit of logic driving him: things could not be worse under Linux.
>>
>> Indeed, Beasley, who has been playing around with Linux since 1997, had
>> reason to believe that they would be much better. Today his expectations
>> have been more than realised; Laughing Boy Records, his little studio in
>> Preston, a suburb of Melbourne, is an all-Linux shop.
>> [/quote]
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/36698-from-windows-to-linux-a-sound-decision
>>
>> Can't be a "professional", must be a "lousy amateur" according to Flatfar=
>> t.
>
> Still, what does the subject of that article say?
>
>    But for Beasley the reasons to run Linux go far beyond that. "I'm
>    surprised that the take-up of Linux for pro audio is so little," he told
>    iTWire during an interview at his little studio. "It may be that people
>    are not aware of the possibilities that are available when you move
>    over."
>
>    . . .
>
>    But it took seven years before Beasley decided to make the move. His
>    Windows set-up caused him constant headaches, with the crashes of both
>    applications and operating system, and given the level of use he was
>    putting his machines to, he had to reinstall at least twice a year. The
>    software also imposed severe limitations on creativity.
>
>    . . .
>
>    He's honest and forthright about the switch. "For a while, I had less
>    functionality when I moved over. But this has improved to the point where
>    things are just fantastic," he says. "I'm no developer, I'm just another
>    long-suffering user, I've only helped to iron out lots and lots of bugs."
>
>    There's a tone of genuine gratitude in his voice as he lists some of the
>    developers with whom he has had a constant back-and-forth over the years
>    Paul Davis, Torben Hohn, Rui Nuno Capella - as he has discovered bugs and
>    communicated his needs to them.
>
>    . . .
>
>    The speed and accuracy of the sync is substantially improved by using
>    Jack transport which in turn has very high resolution - 48000 frames
>    versus a maximum of 30 frames for SMPTE.
>
>    . . .
>
>    Beasley initially ran his setup using Red Hat 9, depending on the RPMs
>    from Planet CCRMA for his applications. He then moved to Gentoo for a
>    couple of years. A chance remark on a forum about ArchLinux ("it's Linux'
>    best-kept secret")made him decide to have a look at that distribution and
>    once he landed there, he has stayed on. All his machines run ArchLinux
>    now.
>
>    . . .

> [...]

In animated films too, it's a lot of RHEL replacing UNIX. Windows is
hardly an option.

Thanks to ITWire for bringing out some facts. The Wintel press does not
like facts; it likes "analysts" who work for clients.

- --

Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st