[News] HP Puts Linux on More Sub-notebooks, Latest KDE4 Aims at Sub-notebooks

  • Subject: [News] HP Puts Linux on More Sub-notebooks, Latest KDE4 Aims at Sub-notebooks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:52:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

HP loads Android onto a netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Branded as a Compaq device, HP's Airlife 100
| netbook is powered by the same Qualcomm
| Snapdragon ARM processor that's found in a
| number of recently released smartphones
| including Google's Nexus One.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1591820/hp-loads-android-netbook

Bluetooth, a Cell Phone and a Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| With eeeBuntu on the Asus Netbook, this
| capability is available through the on-board
| Bluetooth radio. It's theoretically possible
| to transfer files and browse the directories
| on most Bluetooth-equipped phones. Today,
| we'll look at how some of the features work
| and explore some of the quirks of using
| Bluetooth that might trip you up.
|
| My tests were carried out running eeeBuntu
| 3.0 (kernel version 2.6.29-1-netbook) on an
| Asus eeePC 1000HE with a 130 GB disk and 2
| GB of memory. The little machine also had a
| Logitech Nano notebook mouse and uses the
| Atom N280 processor.
`----

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/285532:bluetooth-a-cell-phone-and-a-netbook-

KDE 4.4 Released With Netbooks In Mind

,----[ Quote ]
| Since my dad taught me how to dual-boot
| Mandrake Linux 7 with Windows ME in my early
| pre-teen years, I have not owned a single
| computer that hasnât had a Linux
| distribution on it.  And for many years, KDE
| was my desktop manager of choice.   Sometime
| around KDE 3.4, I deemed KDE too clunky and
| left it to experiment with other desktop
| managers.
|
| Still, I never forgot about my roots in the
| Linux world, and indeed KDE 4 brought KDE
| significantly forward towards modern
| desktops.  Now, KDE seems to be turning
| towards everyoneâs favorite rising PC
| market: netbooks.
`----

http://netbookboards.com/2010/02/14/kde-4-4-released-netbooks-in-mind/

Recent:

H.P. Develops a Netbook Petri Dish

,----[ Quote ]
| For one, H.P. has done away with a previous
| netbook model that ran the Linux operating
| system instead of Windows. Linux types,
| however, still have an option. Or put another
| way, everyone now has a Linux option.
|
| H.P. has brought the QuickWeb software it
| developed with the start-up DeviceVM to its
| netbook line.
`----

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/hewlett-packard-develops-netbook-petri-dish/

t tu, HP!

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a sign that OEMs are looking at backup
| plans for what to do when the monopoly
| crumbles. If the market for that other OS
| dries up, they have GNU/Linux to lean on. They
| may have to advertise it a bit, but they can.
| If the market for x86 dries up in preference
| to ARM for power/price, HP and others need an
| alternative. If they will not supply ARM and
| GNU/Linux, others will. The market is
| beginning to finish the process of curing the
| anti-competitive acts of the monopoly. It is
| about time.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/01/08/et-tu-hp/

The Other HP Slate Runs On Android