[News] Tablets Running GNU/Linux a Risk to Apple's Toys

  • Subject: [News] Tablets Running GNU/Linux a Risk to Apple's Toys
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:50:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is Apple's iEmpire in Danger as Google's Chrome OS Tablet Prepares to Face the iPad?

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2001 Apple released the iPod, making it a
| revolutionary year in consumer electronics .
| Apple began to turn things around, embracing
| design, making tech cool and, most importantly
| of all, making relatively complicated computer
| technology available to the masses.
`----

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/consumer-electronics/portable-devices/is-apples-empire-in-danger-as-googles-chrome-os-tablet-prepares-to-face-the-ipad

Recent:

iPad Vs HP, Google, Dell, Camangi Slates

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, the iPad will not be
| challenged from Microsoft but from the
| sleeping-giant Gnu-Linux. Here is a
| comparison with some of the to-be-released
| Gnu-Linux powered tablets.
`----

http://www.katonda.com/blog/670/ipad-vs-hp-google-dell-camangi-slates

Hold On Apple, Amazon Brings Kindle Flood

,----[ Quote ]
| Most blogs and reports are putting the iPad
| in direct competition with Amazon's Kindle.
| Some even say that the iPad will kill
| Kindle; it seems Muktware* (Gnu-Linux)
| powered Kindle is hard to kill.
`----

http://www.katonda.com/blog/683/hold-apple-amazon-brings-kindle-flood

Education and the iPadâs architecture of control

,----[ Quote ]
| Also alarming is how susceptible a closed
| platform like the iPad could be to
| exploitation by service and content
| providers. A closed platform makes it very
| simple to enforce rigid controls on what
| kind of content is made available to
| students. Just think of the AT&T
| strangehold on iPhone service, and scale
| that up to textbooks in an entire school
| district. This monopolistic control is
| annoying for well-funded, sophisticated
| consumers of technology. It is disastrous
| for the poor, and catastrophic for the
| developing world. Delivering 100 free iPads
| to a village in West Africa or a struggling
| school district in Mississippi isn't
| charity, it's a set of handcuffs.
`----

http://opensource.com/government/10/2/education-and-ipad%E2%80%99s-architecture-control

How the iPad Could Drive Up College Tuition

,----[ Quote ]
| That is, costs won't come down unless
| universities act boldly to replace the
| expensive texts and butts-in-seats
| classroom models with mobile, wireless,
| open-source education.
`----

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/anya-kamenetz/green-day/how-ipad-could-drive-college-tuition

The iPad is DRM doom, says DRM doom group

,----[ Quote ]
| That said, I donât like DRM, but I dislike
| the Free Software Foundation (FSF, the
| actual people behind this âprotestâ) even
| less. Whereas the area of software patents
| needs urgent reform and the concept of fair
| use needs to be defined and codified, these
| folks want all software to be âfree,â a
| slippery concept that they describe as
| âfree as in free speech, not as in free
| beer.â
`----

http://mac.blorge.com/2010/02/09/the-ipad-is-drm-doom-says-drm-doom-group/

Apple iPad is no good for business (says Windows Tablet manufacturer)

http://www.daniweb.com/news/story259354.html