[News] Intellectual Monopolies/Copyrights Disconnect Led to Google Blog Deletions

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies/Copyrights Disconnect Led to Google Blog Deletions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:36:05 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google Music Blog Mess Highlights Why Three Strikes Will Not Work

,----[ Quote ]
| They're based on the false belief that
| copyright infringement is an easy "yes" or
| "no" decision that can be determined upon
| seeing it. But what we're discovering in
| both this situation and in the Viacom
| situation is that even the copyright holders
| are really bad at figuring out if something
| is infringing or not. So why should anyone
| expect third parties to be able to do a
| better job?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100212/1210038151.shtml

Dumb Labels, Laws (Not Google) To Blame for Music Blog Deletions

,----[ Quote ]
| Googleâs deletion of music blogs accused of
| distributing music without permission has
| proven to be a controversial topic this
| week, as one might expect. Some are calling
| it âMusicblogocide 2010,â according to The
| Guardian, whose in-depth article on the
| topic is titled: âGoogle shuts down music
| blogs without warning.â
|
| Nobody likes to hear that music bloggers â
| who tend to write with infectious enthusiasm
| benefiting both fans and copyright holders â
| lost years of work when they may not so much
| have broken the law as grazed up against it.
| It seems especially unfortunate if they
| enabled an avoidable outcome by ignoring or
| being ignorant of the stakes of not taking
| the proper corrective actions when formally
| warned they were in violation of dreaded
| (and widely ignored) terms of service.
| (Deleted blogs include Pop Tarts Suck
| Toasted, Masala, I Rock Cleveland, To Die By
| Your Side, Itâs a Rap, Ryanâs Smashing Life,
| and Living Ears.)
`----

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/02/dumb-labels-laws-bots-not-google-to-blame-for-music-blog-deletions/?intcid=inform_relatedContent

Entertainment Industry Get Their Own 'Piracy Police' In The Justice Department

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember back in December when Vice
| President Joe Biden hosted a one-sided
| "piracy summit", ridiculously declaring that
| "all of the stakeholders" were present
| (despite there not being a single
| representative from the technology industry,
| nor anyone representing consumer interests
| or ISPs). The "stakeholders" were entirely
| the entertainment industry. And, even
| better, despite promises of openness and
| transparency, the press was kicked out so
| top execs from most of the major
| entertainment industry companies could
| collude talk directly with many of the top
| administration officials, including Joe
| Biden, Attorney General Eric Holder,
| Commerce Secretary Gary Locke and others.
| You knew that this wasn't just a random meet
| and greet and that something would come out
| of it.
|
| And, indeed, less than two months later, we
| have Eric Holder announcing a special "IP
| task force" within the Justice Department
| designed to take on "the rise in
| intellectual property crime."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100212/1351148152.shtml

Justice Creates IP Task Force

,----[ Quote ]
| The department said the new task force
| emerged out of a White House meeting hosted
| by Vice President Biden in December, which
| included Holder and other members of the
| president's Cabinet as well as executives
| from the movie studios, record companies,
| book publishers and television networks.
| Biden said in a statement that the Obama
| administration "is committed to stronger and
| stricter enforcement of intellectual
| property rights, and this new task force is
| a step in the right direction."
`----

http://techdailydose.nationaljournal.com/2010/02/justice-creates-ip-task-force.php

Conference Board Of Canada Releases New Report On Copyright That Isn't Just A Cut And Paste From US Lobbyists

,----[ Quote ]
| You may remember last year that the
| Conference Board of Canada (who, until then,
| was pretty well respected) released a report
| on "intellectual property policy" that was
| blatantly plagiarized from US copyright
| industry lobbyists.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100211/0227468130.shtml

Even If ACTA Doesn't Include Filtering Or Three Strikes, There Are Things To Worry About

,----[ Quote ]
| Indeed, what many people have pointed out is
| that the really pernicious part of ACTA is
| in reading between the lines. There are
| already international agreements on
| intellectual property that include clear
| safe harbors and consumer protection. What's
| notable in the leaked drafts of ACTA is that
| such things are missing. So even if it
| doesn't force the US to change the law, it
| could very much hinder attempts by US to
| come to its senses and fix the broken parts
| of the law.

HL Committee on the Digital Economy Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bill provides for the Secretary of State
| to have the power to require ISPs to take
| "technical measures" in respect of account
| holders who have been the subject of
| copyright infringement reports. The scope of
| the measures will be defined in secondary
| legislation and could be wide-ranging.
|
| We do not believe that such a skeletal
| approach to powers which engage human rights
| is appropriate. There is potential for these
| powers to be applied in a disproportionate
| manner which could lead to a breach of
| internet users' rights to respect for
| correspondence and freedom of expression.
`----

http://blogscript.blogspot.com/2010/02/hl-committee-on-digital-economy-bill.html

Music Labels Ask Blogs to Post Songs to Promote Artists, Ask Google to Erase Blogs for Posting Songs

,----[ Quote ]
| Todayâs news that Google shut down music
| blogs that were accused of copyright
| infringement is rightfully getting plenty of
| coverage. Mostly, it is being held up as
| another in a long line of examples of
| problems with the DMCA notice-and-takedown
| system. This is a great example of a problem
| with the DMCA because, at least according to
| The Guardian, the notices that Google relied
| on to delete the blogs were woefully
| incomplete. Google should not have acted
| until it had proper notices from rights
| holders, including the name of the actual
| work allegedly infringed. Since many of the
| notices did not even include this
| information, there was no way for the
| bloggers to file a DMCA counternotice.
`----

http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/2897

Recent:

Intellectual Property and the Structure of Human Action

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002182