[News] Sharing as a Business Model Works Better for Some

  • Subject: [News] Sharing as a Business Model Works Better for Some
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:37:11 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Thanks To Hulu, Indie Film 'Strictly Sexual' Hits Big

,----[ Quote ]
| Film Raked In More Than 10 Times Its
| Production Cost
|
| Hulu won't provide an exact view count for
| Strictly Sexual, but there are enough people
| watching to make Long a profit.
`----

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123499181&ps=cprs

Teen Remixes The Works Of Others Into Best Selling Novel... And Critics Love It

,----[ Quote ]
| And, really, what's the problem here? Some
| might claim that it's unfair to the original
| authors whose work she used -- but the
| author of the largest segments, named Airen,
| is getting a ton of attention for Airen's
| own book, which received little actual
| attention when originally published.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100212/1139578147.shtml

Author Claims $9.99 Is Not A 'Real Price' For Books

,----[ Quote ]
| Just because you don't like what the market
| decides a book is worth, doesn't mean that
| it's not a real price.

Norwegian Appeals Court Dismisses Entertainment Industry's Attempt To Require ISP Block Of The Pirate Bay

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100210/1135248111.shtml

Recent:

Public Domain Manifesto

,----[ Quote ]
| The Public Domain is the rule, copyright
| protection is the exception. Since
| copyright protection is granted only with
| respect to original forms of expression,
| the vast majority of data, information and
| ideas produced worldwide at any given time
| belongs to the Public Domain. In addition
| to information that is not eligible for
| protection, the Public Domain is enlarged
| every year by works whose term of
| protection expires. The combined
| application of the requirements for
| protection and the limited duration of the
| copyright protection contribute to the
| wealth of the Public Domain so as to ensure
| access to our shared culture and knowledge.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/26/public-domain-manife.html

The Public Domain Manifesto

http://publicdomainmanifesto.org/node/8