[News] OpenOffice.org Downloaded Over 300 Million Times

  • Subject: [News] OpenOffice.org Downloaded Over 300 Million Times
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 01:51:52 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OpenOffice Reports 300 Million downloads

,----[ Quote ]
| The impressive open source office software
| suite Open Office a free alternative to
| Microsoftâs office desktop software has
| reported over 300 million people have
| downloaded the application since its debut
| in April 2002. Eat your heart out
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/openoffice-reports-300-million-downloads-11-02-2010/

Open Source OpenOffice Records 300 Million Downloads

http://www.coated.com/open-source-openoffice-records-300-million-downloads/

300,000,000 Downloads Later, OpenOffice Ships Version 3.2

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/11/openoffice/

Too fat to fly: Kevin Smith and OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical has done a fine job of making the
| Linux user experience more coherent, and
| for the kind of dinky 3lb laptops that
| Apple doesn't make, Ubuntu is preferable in
| many ways to Windows 7 or XP for
| reliability and ease of use. So there are
| high expectations for the official NetBook-
| specific distro, originally called NetBook
| Remix but now called NetBook Edition. It
| promises all the benefits of Google's
| ChromeOS, but without the mandatory built-
| in Google creepware.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/15/obeseoffice/

OpenOffice 3.2 now available

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org, the open-source office
| software package, has released version 3.2
| of its free Word, Excel, Powerpoint and
| Access replacement tools. Simultaneously,
| the team also revealed that it's hit 300
| million downloads since the suite launched
| in 2002.
`----

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31441/openoffice-3-2-now-available

Open source office software upgraded

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft-bating open source software maker
| OpenOffice.org has announced the latest
| release of its 'anything you can do we can
| do cheaper' suite of office productivity
| tools.
`----

http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/2/12/open-source-office-software-upgraded/

Free open-source word processing software gets speed and compatibility update

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 300 million downloads later,
| OpenOffice.org â the world's leading free
| personal productivity software -- is
| updating its office suite to make it faster
| and more compatible with other office
| software programs.
`----

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/free-opensource-word-processing-software-gets-speed-and-compatibility-update-1897756.html

Recent:

OpenOffice.org 3.2 is First Out of the Blocks in the 2010 Office Software Race

OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 released today

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/openoffice_org_3_2_0

OpenOffice 3.2: more stability, more speed

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenOffice team have made version 3.2
| of the open source office suite for
| Windows, Mac OS, Linux and Solaris
| available to download. It offers numerous
| enhancements over its predecessor which
| offer both stability and speed benefits.
| Writer and Calc, for example, should now
| start twice as fast as in version 3.1.1.
|
| Improved Microsoft Office filters now make
| it possible to open protected Word, Excel
| and PowerPoint files (after entering the
| correct password). The project tem has also
| improved compatibility with the
| OpenDocument standard.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenOffice-3-2-more-stability-more-speed-927551.html