[News] Opera Embraces BSD Licence, Firefox Improves

  • Subject: [News] Opera Embraces BSD Licence, Firefox Improves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 01:53:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Opera Dragonfly open for business

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the inception of Opera Dragonfly, we
| planned for it to become an open source
| project. It has always been released under
| an open source BSD licence, but the source
| repositories were on Opera servers.
| Starting today, Opera Dragonfly is a fully
| open source project, hosted on BitBucket.
| Since the previous version of Opera
| Dragonfly, a lot of work has gone on behind
| the scenes replacing the existing
| architecture with a modern version of the
| Scope Protocol â STP-1. Opera Dragonfly has
| been rewritten to use this faster and more
| efficient version of Scope. Now that we
| believe that the underlying protocol is
| stable and performant, and a public desktop
| build has been released with this included,
| it is time to put Opera Dragonfly on a
| public Mercurial repository.
`----

http://my.opera.com/dragonfly/blog/opera-dragonfly-open-for-business

Firefox Turning Into A Multi-Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| In an upcoming version, Firefox will be a
| multiprocessing browser. The developers of
| Firefox at Mozilla are preparing for one of
| the most important changes in the history
| of this browser. It will not be the version
| of Firefox 3.5 which will make the Firefox
| browser a multithreaded one. But it is
| expected to be so in any of the following
| versions, such as version 3.6, which we
| have already spoken of. Or in version 4.0
| Firefox can become a multi-browser. For
| those of you who do not know what a
| multithreaded browser means, you can keep
| an eye on the post explaining what a multi-
| browser is all about.
`----

http://www.ozcarguide.com/technology/web/1261-firefox-turning-into-a-multi-browser

WordPress Mobile now available, free and open source, for BlackBerry, Android and iPhone; Nokia soon!

,----[ Quote ]
| WordPress, the gold standard in blogging
| platforms, has just announced that they now
| have WordPress applications for RIMâs
| BlackBerry (NSDQ: RIMM) platform, Google
| (NSDQ: GOOG)âs Android, and the iPhone.
| Theyâre all free, and theyâre all open
| source, so the community can help make them
| better. Theyâve also announced that in a
| few weeks theyâll be playing with Qt and
| releasing a beta for not only Nokia (NYSE:
| NOK)âs Symbian platform, but the Linux
| based Maemo too.
`----

http://www.intomobile.com/2010/02/11/wordpress-mobile-now-available-free-and-open-source-for-blackberry-android-and-iphone-nokia-soon.html