[News] Arch Linux Kicks Arse, Another List of Top Operating Systems

  • Subject: [News] Arch Linux Kicks Arse, Another List of Top Operating Systems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 01:32:05 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Arch Linux smokes all others. My Arch Review.

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâll continue to use Arch Linux as my main
| O.S. at work and weâll see how it adds up in
| the Long run.
`----

http://www.jimmyburnett.com/2010/02/arch-linux-smokes-all-others-my-arch-review.html

5 operating systems that can set you free

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus
|
| Pardus is a Linux based operating system, which
| does not require much knowledge to operate. Its
| name was taken from the Latin name for the
| Anatolian leopard. Pardus 2009 is the latest
| version of Pardus. It features the
| OpenOffice.org office suite, internet tools
| like web browser, e-mail, instant messaging,
| etc.
|
| Also, it supports various multimedia and
| graphics tools, games, and many other
| applications. Its package management system is
| called as PiSi (Packages installed Successfully
| as intended), which is written in XML and
| Python, and uses the LZMA Compression
| Algorithm.
`----

http://www.itvoir.com/portal/boxx/knowledgebase.asp?iid=1787&Cat=23

Recent:

Arch is hard to replace

,----[ Quote ]
| I didnât try out OpenSuse KDE, because I was
| curious about the GNOME version, thereâs no
| Ubuntu because I already had Linux Mint, and I
| didnât include Fedora although I wanted to,
| because Iâm a bit worried about my download
| limit.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/arch-is-hard-to-replace/

Review: Arch Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve been wanting to try Arch Linux for quite
| some time now.  They seem to have a similar
| aesthetic to Gentoo in that the main mission
| of Arch is to build your operating system from
| the ground up.  You only add the things you
| need.  So you donât have any cruft on your
| system based on what some other people think
| you should have.  So letâs pop this CD in and
| see what happens!  (Iâm also following the
| directions on
| http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide)  The disc is the 2009.08
| snapshot.  I booted into the LiveCD.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2010/01/27/review-arch-linux/

Making the Switch to Arch Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, I am really happy with Arch, although
| to be fair, I havenât been using it for more
| than a day yet. However, the documentation is
| great and the installation was relatively quick
| and painless, so I am pretty pleased at this
| point. I look forward to getting more
| comfortable with it and switching my other
| machines as well.
`----

http://whatisgon.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/making-the-switch-to-arch-linux/

Getting Started with Arch Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs hard to come up with an opinion about
| Arch, since Arch is what you make of it. I
| like that it gives so much control to the
| user when it comes to system
| configuration, but at times it feels like
| a little too much control. There are a few
| things that make you think âcome on, does
| this HAVE to be manual?â but the
| developers are clearly just trying to
| follow the Arch philosophy of giving the
| user all the control. In particular, it
| would be nice to have tools like hwd and
| aurbuild as part of the system, or at
| least available for installation through
| pacman. That may happen at some point as
| packages in AUR have a chance to be worked
| into the community repo eventually.
| Overall I think I like Arch and pacman,
| and I can see how it would make a great
| choice for systems that should be kept