[News] Glimpse at 'Floppy' Distro and Restricted Distro

  • Subject: [News] Glimpse at 'Floppy' Distro and Restricted Distro
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 01:34:34 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

KolibriOS â A tiny operating system on a 1.44MB floppy

,----[ Quote ]
| KolibriOS is is an operating system that fits
| on a single 1.44MB Floppy (many applications
| are compressed) and  runs with 8MB of Ram !!!
| The surprise is that the system come with a
| graphical environment complete with text
| editors, system utilities, games, browser,
| media players and lots of other stuff.
`----

http://www.unixmen.com/news-today/790-kolibrios-an-operating-system-on-a-144mb-floppy

So is ChromeOS a desktop winner? I think not.

,----[ Quote ]
| When Google announced their ChromeOS there was
| a flurry of comment and opinion on what this
| could mean for the GNU/Linux user and the
| future of free software. Our esteemed editor,
| Tony Mobily made a bold statement (albeit
| framed as a question) at the time that Googleâs
| ChromeOS could turn GNU/Linux into a âdesktop
| winnerâ. Iâm not sure that itâs true.
|
| Whatever happens of course the fact is that
| when somebody of Googleâs size and impact
| enters a market, there will be winners and
| losers, losses and gains. Now that the dust has
| well and truly settled letâs have another look
| at the potential impact of ChromeOS.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/chrome_os_desktop_winner_think_not

Recent: