[News] Top GNU/Linux Operating Systems for Sub-notebooks, Jolicloud Impresses

  • Subject: [News] Top GNU/Linux Operating Systems for Sub-notebooks, Jolicloud Impresses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:12:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Top 5 Operating Systems for Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| My personal favorites are Windows 7 Home
| Premium and Jolicloud, thanks to the ease use.
| My HP Mini is currently running Windows 7 Home
| Premium and runs Jolicloud off of a thumbdrive
| when I want a different experience. I am also
| testing out a Sony Vaio W which comes standard
| with Windows 7 Starter and despite the
| limitations of Starter I am getting by alright
| so far; though I couldnât use it every day
| thanks to the lack of multi-monitor support.
`----

http://www.notebooks.com/2010/02/14/top-5-operating-systems-for-netbooks/

Jolicloud - A great Linux distro that blurs the line between desktop and web applications

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end Jolicloud manages to keep a good
| mixture of native and web applications, and
| abstracts the differences between them so you
| can just focus on doing your work. This is one
| OS to look for when it releases.
`----

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Mobiles-PDAs/Jolicloud--A-great-Linux-distro-that_4059.html

Recent:

Jolicloud - Jolly good Linux (psst, don't tell anyone)

,----[ Quote ]
| Jolicloud is a really interesting distro. It
| works great, it provides out of the box
| experience for just about anyone and it's
| dead simple to install and maintain. It's a
| perfect solution for the common computer
| user. Even calling it Linux or distro might
| be too much, as it could scare away potential
| customers.
|
| [...]
|
| I believe Jolicloud will make it big. It has
| all the right ingredients for commercial
| success. One thing is sure, though. Year 2010
| is going to be an exciting year of the
| netbook wars, and now there's a new kid on
| the block. And it has big teeth and a
| knuckleduster. Watch out.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/jolicloud.html

Jolicloud Pre-Beta Release

,----[ Quote ]
| Jolicloud is a respin of Ubuntu Netbook
| Remix (UNR), with the addition of
| significant new functionality through a
| slick and shiny menu system which
| incorporates a point-and-click method for
| system updates and the adding/deleting new
| software.  The system itself runs solidly
| and is fully functional, but the overall
| effort feels like it needs a further push
| to make it something truly new.  The
| âMyJolicloudâ feature will appeal to new
| users and recent Linux converts as it makes
| adding new programs incredibly easy, and
| concentrates an array of content in one
| easy to use place.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/jolicloud_pre-beta_release/

jolicloud - another Linux for Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| As I said, it looks to me like Jolicloud has
| in many ways the kind of "Social" orientation
| that Moblin has (see Facebook, Twitter etc.
| in the Apps shot above), but in my opinion
| they are doing a much better job of
| integrating it with Linux, keeping the whole
| thing much more familiar and accessible to
| experienced Linux users. Even more
| importantly, they have avoided the juvenile
| graphics that Moblin is riddled with, and
| they have actually produced an original and
| appealing interface. Their blog pomises that
| the "new UI" will be significantly better
| than this pre-Beta version, and if that is
| true it should be magnificent.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014763o-2000498448b,00.htm

Jolicloud â A Linux Distribution for Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Jolicloud is no doubt turning out to be one
| very good Netbook centric OS.
`----

http://linuxandfriends.com/2009/12/25/jolicloud-a-linux-distribution-for-netbooks/

Jolicloud Wants to be your Other Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall this distro is pretty slick. It
| generally succeeds on the stated goal of
| delivering a Linux version that's easy to
| install and works well either as a replacement
| for your original Netbook OS or alongside.
| With the extensive list of supported Netbooks,
| it should prove to be a winner. You have no
| more excuses if you're looking for a solid
| Netbook OS without the Windows baggage.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6936/1/

Jolicloud thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| The webpages on the Jolicloud site are also
| well thought out and well designed. More
| information about Jolicloud and support can be
| found on the community page. While you are
| here you will also notice that you can contact
| the Jolicloud crowd through Facebook, Flickr
| or IRC. The online documentation is quite
| good, although not as good or extensive as the
| documentation you will find in mainline
| GNU/Linux distributions such as Fedora,
| CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/jolicloud-thoughts/

Jolicloud Netbook OS is another cool Ubuntu based OS

,----[ Quote ]
| It is powered with Ubuntu operating system and
| uses Mozilla Prism technology a lot.
`----

http://stuff.techwhack.com/8060-jolicloud-netbook-os

Jolicloud netbook OS reaches public beta

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/12/jolicloud-netbook-os-reaches-public-beta.html

Jolicloud Launches Beta Version Of Its Netbook OS At Le Web

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/10/AR2009121002146.html

Jolicloud pre-beta now ready for download, and I love it

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/12/10/jolicloud-pre-beta-now-ready-for-download-and-i-love-it/

Jolicloud "Robby" Beta To Ship WIth Linux 2.6.32

,----[ Quote ]
| In early September we featured an article
| on Jolicloud Linux, which sought to
| provide innovations atop Ubuntu Netbook
| Remix by enriching the experience for
| cloud computing and through their
| Jolicloud service to have easy access to
| various web-based applications. At that
| time we were seeded with an early alpha
| build of Jolicloud, but this morning (just
| a day after we published the first Chrome
| OS benchmarks), their CEO has provided us
| with a pre-beta copy of Jolicloud
| (codenamed "Robby").
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzczNQ

JOLICLOUD Linux OS review

,----[ Quote ]
| We have seen plethora of Linux variants
| based on Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch and so on. The
| people behind JOLICLOUD, a Linux OS say that
| we, the netbook owners will soon be
| âJolicloud-edâ. But, is being Joliclouded
| beneficial at all? Letâs see how is the new
| Jolicloud OS from a viewpoint of a die-hard
| Linux user.
`----

http://gadgetmix.com/index/jolicloud-linux-os-review/

Jolicloud - Distro Review

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all Jolicloud is a very solid netbook
| distro. It has replaced Ubuntu Karmic as the
| default operating system on my Asus EEE PC.
| If you own a tiny computer it is definitely
| one worth checking out. Rock solid distro
| thus far and I feel the Joli team will only
| deliver more spectacular features before
| they come into a full 1.0 release.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2009/11/jolicloud-distro-review.html

Jolicloud to usher return of thin client

,----[ Quote ]
| The availability of netbooks that ride on the
| maturity of cloud infrastructure is heralding the
| return of the thin client, says Jolicloud founder and
| CEO, Tariq Krim.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62058460,00.htm

Jolicloud brings the stupidity of web apps to Linux netbooks.

,----[ Quote ]
| There may well be something I'm not getting here, but I
| honestly can't see what the big deal is about this new
| Jolicloud distro.
|
| I should point out that my experience was with an installation
| of Jolicloud within Easy Peasy, another netbook Linux with
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix. But I did try out Jolicloud proper on a
| previous occasion, and it didn't seem any different...
`----

http://acurrie.posterous.com/jolicloud-brings-the-stupidity-of-web-apps-to

Jolicloud OS seeks to move past browsers

,----[ Quote ]
| Jolicloud starts with a great OS, Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and
| couples it with a different way to use existing web
| applications. We think the developers have done a great job
| integrating Prism into their interface and find it very
| usable. Only time will tell if users are willing to migrate
| from traditional browsing, to using web apps for what they
| really are: an application.
`----

http://hackaday.com/2009/09/19/jolicloud-os-seeks-to-move-past-browsers/

Jolicloud Innovates Atop Ubuntu Netbook Remix

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux distributions designed specifically for use on netbooks is nothing
| new. Canonical produces the Ubuntu Netbook Remix version of Ubuntu for
| these small-sized devices, Intel has their Moblin distribution that is
| very fast and offers an attractive interface, gOS has their own netbook
| distribution...
|
| [...]
|
| Jolicloud's 2.6.30 kernel is also built with GCC optimizations for the
| Intel Atom processor and has picked up several out-of-tree kernel modules
| to support different functionality like PCI overclocking and more WiFi
| drivers. Other core improvements include updating the Intel Linux graphics
| stack, striping out unused kernel modules, and making other performance
| refinements.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=jolicloud_preview&num=1

Jolicloud's Netbook OS is Getting Noticed, Looks Unique

,----[ Quote ]
| Malmrose isn't the only one taking notice of Jolicloud. CNet's Josh Lowensohn
| has taken the beta version of Jolicloud's OS through some early paces, and
| says: "I've been giving it a thorough run-though over the past few days and
| have come away impressed at what it's trying to do. Some bits and pieces are
| definitely still beta, but the underlying approach of making Web sites and
| software applications feel the same, as well as introducing users to new ones
| to use is really innovative." Does this unusual netbook operating system have
| a chance?
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/joliclouds-netbook-os-is-getting-noticed-looks-unique

Installed Jolicloud, and WOW!

,----[ Quote ]
| This weekend, I installed Jolicloud on Leslee's netbook.  Jolicloud is
| currently in private alpha.  I put in for a key quite a long time ago.  A few
| months ago, I finally got accepted.  But....I've been really busy with the
| wedding and honeymoon, so it just sat there.  Now I regret it.  Wow,
| Jolicloud is phenominal.
`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/installed-jolicloud-and-wow

Preview of Jolicloud: The social Netbook OS

,----[ Quote ]
| One of those, called Jolicloud is launching in beta in the next few months.
| Created by Tariq Krim, who founded and later left widget-based start page
| Netvibes, the alternate OS has been designed for Web workers, or people who
| do most of their work (or play) on Web applications and services.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10310359-248.html

Hands-on with an alpha of the Jolicloud netbook distro

,----[ Quote ]
| Jolicloud is a Linux-based netbook OS that is built on top of Canonical's
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It uses Mozilla's Prism environment to make Web
| applications accessible outside of the browser.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/07/hands-on-jolicloud-alpha-combines-ubuntu-and-mozilla-prism.ars

Checking out the Jolicloud Netbook OS

,----[ Quote ]
| That may, actually, be exactly what is needed to bring the concepts of Ubuntu
| Netbook Remix to the masses. Itâs too early to tell, but Jolicloud looks like
| it has a chance of being one of the first Linux-based netbook distros to take
| off, if they can get deals with hardware manufacturers.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/2009/07/17/checking-out-the-jolicloud-netbook-os/

Hands-On Review Of Jolicloud, The iPhonesque OS For Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Founder and former CEO of Netvibes Tariq Krim is moving forward with his
| ambitious Jolicloud project, looking to build a better operating system for
| web workers with netbooks (or smartbooks or cloud computers, whichever term
| you prefer). A couple of days ago, we got a couple of exclusive screenshots
| from the team, and just a day after the startup started sending out a handful
| of invite codes for early adopters who wanted to get a peak at the alpha
| developer release. I also got hold of one and have been using Jolicloud on my
| Acer Aspire ONE for about four days now. These are my initial findings.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/07/hands-on-review-of-jolicloud-the-iphonesque-os-for-netbooks/

Jolicloud â The Innovative OS For The Web-Centric Crowd

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/jolicloud-the-innovative-os-for-the-web-centric-crowd/2009/09/18