[News] ARM in Sub-notebooks is All About GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] ARM in Sub-notebooks is All About GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:11:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

ARM and Global Foundries push mobile chip development

,----[ Quote ]
| The joint SoC platform is based on the
| Cortex A9 processor and ARM's physical IP,
| but taps GloFo's experience with 28nm High-
| K Metal Gate process to create a proven
| reference design for manufacturers of
| smartphones, smartbooks, tablets and a host
| of other mobile devices.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1592151/arm-global-foundries-push-mobile-chip-development

Are smartbooks and Linux meant for each other?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the desktop line of Windows currently
| doesnât run on ARM processors, we can
| exclude XP/Vista/7 from the list of likely
| contenders as smartbook operating systems.
| Windows 7 successors are currently not
| planned to be ported to ARM and even that
| wouldnât be a complete solution since
| Windows applications will have to be ported
| as well (a very wide, close-sourced
| ecosystem).
|
| [...]
|
| Linux on the other hand has a very good
| technical background on ARM. It has no
| limitations for processing cores and
| operating memory and has targeted
| distributions for this architecture.
| Android is an outstanding example but
| several well-known distributions â like
| Ubuntu â have ARM ports in addition to
| their x86 base edition. Also, due to the
| fact that most of the Linux applications
| are open-source, they are at least possible
| to port, so we can expect the full usual
| complement of desktop Linux applications to
| show up on an ARM Linux distribution when
| the need becomes visible for them.
`----

http://soltesza.wordpress.com/2010/02/13/are-smartbooks-and-linux-meant-for-each-other/

The Gdium Liberty 1000 clearly stands out from the pack

,----[ Quote ]
| Innovative architecture entrenched in the
| open-source world, elegant and sober
| design, yet stylish, security and mobility
| with the G-Key, a personal and bootable USB
| key, Gdium is an ultraportable computer
| that is one of the cornerstones of a wider
| environment dedicated to knowledge,
| communication and learning.
`----

http://www.gdium.com/en/product/liberty1000

Recent:

ARM SMP

,----[ Quote ]
| We are only a few weeks into 2010 and there is
| word that ARM will be doing the SMP/multi-core
| thing and still run 12 hours on a charge. Are
| we there yet? Yes. These devices have all the
| power normal users need, in a phone handset.
| Imagine what ARM can put in a desktop or
| notebook. The reign of x86-64 is nearing an
| end.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/02/15/arm-smp/

ARM: More than 1.3 billion served in Q4 2009

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/ARM-Q4-2009-financial-results-and-forthcoming-processors/