[News] Huge Number of New Linux Phones Come in the Form of Android

  • Subject: [News] Huge Number of New Linux Phones Come in the Form of Android
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:08:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Tiny handsets run Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony Ericsson announced two compact,
| scaled-down members of its Xperia X10
| Android smartphone line. The Xperia X10
| Mini and the QWERTY-keyboard equipped X10
| Mini Pro both offer Qualcomm processors
| clocked to 600MHz with 2.5-inch QVGA
| touchscreens, five-megapixel cameras, HSPA,
| WiFi, Bluetooth, aGPS, and Android 1.6,
| says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-X10-Mini-and-Mini-Pro/

Acer updates Liquid, adds three more Android phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer announced three new Android
| smartphones, as well as an Android 2.1
| version of its Liquid phone. Acer's BeTouch
| e400 and BeTouch E110 fall into the mid-
| and low-end range, while the Acer "Liquid
| e" and Formula One styled Acer Ferrari
| smartphone both appear to target the upper
| ranges of Android phones.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Acer-BeTouch-E400-and-E110-and-Liquid-e-and-Scuderia-Ferrari/?kc=rss

Motorola's latest Android handset offers multi-touch

,----[ Quote ]
| In its Cliq XT incarnation, the Quench
| appears to be intended as the next-
| generation version of Motorola's first
| Android phone, the T-Mobile-sold Cliq.
| However, the company did not list which
| global carrier(s) would pick up the Quench
| version.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Motorola-Quench-and-Cliq-XT/

Freescale's Cortex-A8 SoC jumps into Android phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Lumigon Corp. announced three Android 2.1
| phones -- the T1, S1, and E1 -- touted as
| the first smartphones to use Freescale's
| 1GHz i.MX51 system-on-chip. Meanwhile, the
| company also reported contributing to
| Ulysse Nardin's Chairman, an Android
| handset that will start at over $13,000,
| and Freescale announced an Android
| evaluation kit for the i.MX51.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Freescale-iMX51-Android-EVK-and-Lumigon-T1-and-S1-and-Ulysse-Nardin-Chairman-/

HTC working on app store tech and studying tablets

,----[ Quote ]
| High Tech Computer (HTC), the world's
| biggest maker of Windows Mobile and Google
| Android OS smartphones, is working on
| technologies for applications used in
| handsets and application stores and plans
| to put this software to use but not until a
| later time.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/336390/htc_working_app_store_tech_studying_tablets?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

HTC unveils update to Nexus One and HTC Legend

,----[ Quote ]
| The similarity is no big surprise
| considering HTC built Nexus One for Google.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/336387/htc_unveils_update_nexus_one_htc_legend?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Android Market should stimulate Open Source Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| For Google this is also good because with
| open source multiple people can start
| contributing to apps such that they can
| improve faster. Furthermore people can
| start new projects by simply reusing open
| source code of other Open Source Android
| applications. All in all it will spur
| innovation and improve quality of
| applications and in the end thatâs good for
| Google because the platform will become
| more popular.
|
| Furthermore it fits in the Google policy
| that they stimulate Open Source.
`----

http://jaap.haitsma.org/2010/02/13/android-market-should-stimulate-open-source-apps/

Mobile World Congress: Content plans reveal likely mobile winners and losers

,----[ Quote ]
| 2. Google's Android platform gained
| critical mass 18 months from launch,
| heralding the rise of the open source OS.
| Juniper said. Android had been as much
| about as enabling search and services
| across different devices as capturing OS
| market share. This had prompted Nokia to
| open-source its Symbian environment and was
| being followed by Nokia and Intel, which
| combined efforts to launch the Linux-based
| MeeGo platform .
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/02/17/240333/Mobile-World-Congress-Content-plans-reveal-likely-mobile-winners-and.htm

Google geared toward mobiles over desktops: CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, which became an important player in
| the mobile industry with the launch of
| Linux-based open platform Android in 2008
| and last month's release of the first
| Google phone, the Nexus One, denied that it
| is competing against mobile carriers.
`----

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2010/02/17/39/0501000000AEN20100217000300320F.HTML

Porting Android 2.x to Sony Xperia â Psh. Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 â Now weâre talkinâ

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the greatest things about a more
| open platform for smartphones I believe, is
| the ability to (if you choose) customize it
| until youâre hearts content. From personal
| experience, I swap ROMâs every couple of
| days on my DROID trying out the updates and
| newcomers to the custom DROID ROM scene
| alike. But porting various ROMâs developed
| for your phone, or at the very least, the
| phoneâs operating system, are rather easy
| all things considered. Especially so when
| comparing a simple ROM port from one
| Android device to the next against porting
| a full blown desktop OS to a Sony Xperia
| X1. Oh yeah, itâs real.
`----

http://gadgetsteria.com/2010/02/17/porting-android-2-x-to-sony-xperia-x1-psh-ubuntu-hardy-heron-8-04-now-were-talkin/

Recent:

Dell's Mini 5 will run on unreleased Android

,----[ Quote ]
| THE RUMOUR MILL is saying that Dell's upcoming
| Mini 5 tablet will run on a currently
| unreleased version of Google's Linux-based
| Android operating system.
|
| According to Engadget, the tablet device will
| run on a new version the increasingly popular
| Android OS that has never been seen in the wild
| before.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1592037/dell-mini-run-unreleased-android

Compaqâs Android-based Airlife 100 Announced

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/02/13/compaqs-androidbased-airlife-100-announced/