[News] GNU/Linux Distributions Address Healthcare Needs

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Distributions Address Healthcare Needs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:28:13 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Project GNUmed Live started

,----[ Quote ]
| It all originated from the need to host GNUmed
| Live CDs, VMware images and so on. Nothing
| comes for free and there was no way we could
| host these images on the GNUmed servers.
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1266221307

Five sites for open source healthcare

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're browsing the web looking for sites
| about open source healthcare, here are five I
| found interesting. There are a ton of sites
| out there, and I tried to stay away from those
| that talked strictly about software--instead
| focusing on those that tackled the issues in
| open source ways beyond technology.
`----

http://opensource.com/life/10/2/five-sites-open-source-healthcare

Recent:

How software companies could screw up Obamaâs health care reform.

,----[ Quote ]
| Things did not go so smoothly at Childrenâs
| Hospital of Pittsburgh, which installed a
| computerized health system in 2002. Rather
| than a godsend, the new system turned out to
| be a disaster, largely because it made it
| harder for the doctors and nurses to do
| their jobs in emergency situations. The
| computer interface, for example, forced
| doctors to click a mouse ten times to make a
| simple order...
|
| Why did similar attempts to bring health
| care into the twenty-first century lead to
| triumph at Midland but tragedy at
| Childrenâs? While many factors were no doubt
| at work, among the most crucial was a
| difference in the software installed by the
| two institutions. The system that Midland
| adopted is based on software originally
| written by doctors for doctors at the
| Veterans Health Administration, and it is
| whatâs called "open source," meaning the
| code can be read and modified by anyone and
| is freely available in the public domain
| rather than copyrighted by a corporation.
`----

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2009/0907.longman.html

NHIN Connect Project Freedom Award Acceptance Letter

,----[ Quote ]
| On behalf of the entire Federal Health
| Architecture and the CONNECT Open Source
| Community, it is my pleasure to accept the
| 2009 Linux Medical News Freedom Award.
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1260766542

California hospital to roll out OpenVista by year's end

,----[ Quote ]
| Hensler said OpenVista's comparatively low
| cost and speed of implementation cinched the
| deal with Carlsbad, Calif.-based MedSphere,
| which developed OpenVista for commercial use
| from the VistA system developed by the
| Department of Veterans Affairs. The pre-
| built OpenVista system will enable Kern
| officials to use the solution from day one
| and customize and enhance it over time to
| specific hospital needs, Hensler said.
`----

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/california-hospital-roll-out-openvista-years-end

HIE Firm Opens Platform to Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Salt Lake City-based vendor is not

| placing its source code on the open source
| market, Kipp Lassetter, M.D., chair and CEO
| emphasizes. "It's not a first step toward
| moving to open source, but definitely
| defining the system as an open system."
`----

http://www.healthdatamanagement.com/news/open_source_HIE_platform_developers-39483-1.html

Health IT cited as evidence for importance of new open government directive

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.govhealthit.com/newsitem.aspx?nid=72698