[News] Free Software in Government, India's Good Example

  • Subject: [News] Free Software in Government, India's Good Example
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:49:35 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What if politicians innovated the open source way?

,----[ Quote ]
| I read an interesting post last week by
| Morton Hansen (author of Collaboration: How
| Leaders Avoid the Traps, Create Unity, and
| Reap Big Results) entitled Obama's Five
| Collaboration Mistakes. In the comments
| below the post, some folks interpreted his
| words as an attack on the Obama
| administration. Me? I'd probably interpret
| Hansen's words more broadly. Perhaps
| something like:
|
| Politicians are pretty darned bad at
| collaborating a lot of the time.
`----

http://opensource.com/business/10/2/what-could-politicians-learn-open-source-way

The standard is open, almost

,----[ Quote ]
| indiaâs draft policy on the software
| platform for e-governance has made a
| concession for proprietary software
| businesses like Microsoft. Proponents of
| open-source software called it a major
| departure from the Union governmentâs
| earlier stand, saying allowing proprietary
| software in the standards will limit people
| who can e-access the government. At the
| heart of this controversy is a change in
| the âRecommended Policy on Open Standards
| for e-governanceâ.
`----

http://www.downtoearth.org.in/full6.asp?foldername=20100228&filename=news&sec_id=4&sid=2

Recent:

Steps to adopt open source standards draw flak

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/software/Steps-to-adopt-open-source-standards-draw-flak/articleshow/5475276.cms