[News] Free Software Luminary Richard Stallman Helps Copyright Reform

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Luminary Richard Stallman Helps Copyright Reform
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:50:39 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Meet free software guru Richard Stallman at Pitt

,----[ Quote ]
| Copyrights used to expire after a few years;
| now some corporations want them to last
| forever to protect their revenue streams on
| copyrighted works. Stallman continues to
| influence this conversation with an eye toward
| protecting computer users' freedom and making
| software more conducive to a genuine
| education.
|
| "The global corporations that profit from
| copyright are lobbying for draconian
| punishments for copyright violations and to
| increase their copyright powers while
| suppressing public access to technology," says
| Stallman. "If we seriously hope to serve the
| only legitimate purpose of copyright-- to
| promote progress for the benefit of the public
| -- then we must make changes in the other
| direction."
`----

http://www.popcitymedia.com/innovationnews/stallman0217.aspx

See 'Revolution OS' at the Darress Theatre in Boonton

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Jersey Linux User's group will present
| a film titled "Revolution OS" at the Darress
| Theatre in Boonton on Wednesday, March 31.
| This is a documentary detailing the roots of
| the Free Software and Open Source movements
| that resulted in Linux, as well as many other
| free software projects.
`----

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/events/84540942_See__Revolution_OS__at_the_Darress_Theatre_in_Boonton.html

Recent:

Google Music Blog Mess Highlights Why Three Strikes Will Not Work

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100212/1210038151.shtml