[News] LXDE Helps Old Computers Become Modern Again

  • Subject: [News] LXDE Helps Old Computers Become Modern Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:22:50 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

LXDE - the cure for what ails our older PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs been a while since Ubuntu could be called
| a leaner alternative to Windows. While itâs
| safe to say that it runs a bit better on older
| machines than Windows Vista, its
| transformation into a truly full-featured
| operating system capable of replacing Windows
| in most situations has rendered it more
| bloated than other less mainstream
| alternatives.
|
| However, one of the nicer features of Linux
| (at least for the end user) is the ability to
| choose the windowing environment with which we
| interact with the underlying OS. Essentially,
| we can choose from any number of graphical
| user interfaces that suit a particular
| situation. By default, Ubuntu desktop editions
| come with the Gnome interface which works
| quite well, but is far more responsible for
| the apparent bloat than the actual Ubuntu
| operating system itself. KDE and Xfce are two
| other âdesktop environmentsâ and can be
| installed as the native Ubuntu GUIs that make
| up the so-called Kubuntu and Xubuntu official
| variants. Xubuntu is generally considered to
| be lighter in terms of memory and CPU
| utilization than either the Gnome- or KDE-
| based versions of Ubuntu, but they donât hold
| a candle to LXDE.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=3645

Recent:

Up Close and Personal with LXDE

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâre in an environment in which Gnome or
| KDE are simply too slow and a solution like
| fluxbox requires too much of a learning curve
| (or is simply too foreign-looking), LXDE
| offers a good blend of responsiveness and
| interface familiarity such that a neophyte can
| dive right in.
`----

http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2009/11/23/up-close-and-personal-with-lxde/

LXDE: LXDM and Trash support

,----[ Quote ]
| Some cool news for any LXDE users.
|
| The first one, LXDE developers finally started to develop their own Display Manager,
| that means that soon weâll need no more the very heavy GDM or the no more developed
| SLIM.
`----

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2009/09/12/lxde-lxdm-and-trash-support/

Lubuntu, Ubuntu with LXDE