[News] GE Healthcare Attacks Freedom of Speech, Others Do too

  • Subject: [News] GE Healthcare Attacks Freedom of Speech, Others Do too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:57:56 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

US drug firm drops libel action against scientist

,----[ Quote ]
| A US corporation, GE Healthcare, has dropped
| the controversial British libel action it
| brought against a scientist who criticised one
| of its drugs, saying the firm did not mean to
| stifle academic debate.
|
| Lawyers for leading Danish radiologist Henrik
| Thomsen said today: "He will be obviously
| relieved. Now he won't have to worry about his
| future financial position, and won't have to
| keep looking over his shoulder before he says
| anything."
|
| At a 2007 Oxford medical conference, Thomsen
| criticised use of Omniscan, GE's best-selling
| contrast agent injected into patients so their
| tissues show up better during MRI scans.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/feb/18/ge-healthcare-henrik-thomsen-libel

Europe to the rescue - again

,----[ Quote ]
| I for one despair of us being dependent on a
| Court and a Parliament which have grown from a
| very different jurisprudential and cultural
| tradition to protect our rights, and for those
| with a sense of British liberty and freedom it
| feels rather shameful, doesn't it?
`----

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2010/02/europe-to-the-rescue-again.html

Full footage from the Livingstone interview - "The Assault on Liberty"

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2010/02/full-footage-from-the-livingstone-interview-the-assault-on-liberty.html

PIC: Zuma cops lock up jogger

,----[ Quote ]
| A UCT student has been arrested, had his house
| searched and been questioned about his
| political affiliations after gesturing at
| President Jacob Zuma's convoy of vehicles.
|
| Police officers have claimed he pointed his
| middle finger at vehicles in the convoy and
| tried to resist arrest.
`----

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=6&art_id=vn20100217062211616C809058

Switzerland pursues violent games ban

,----[ Quote ]
| Possibility of stricter measures after
| resolution passed restricting sale to minors
|
| With violent games currently causing a stir in
| Australia, closer to home it has emerged that
| Switzerland is now considering banning violent
| video games outright in the territory.
`----

http://www.smartertechnology.com/c/a/Technology-For-Change/Pico-Projectors-Marry-Mobile-Phones/

Recent:

Patent trolls try to rip off high tech firms

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.biztimes.com/news/2009/5/29/patent-trolls-try-to-rip-off-high-tech-firms