[News] Internet Under Attack and the BBC Participates in Attack

  • Subject: [News] Internet Under Attack and the BBC Participates in Attack
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:59:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Filtering round up: French filtering, Ireland backs off, UK sidesteps?

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile in a surprising twist, Eirecom have
| apparently pulled out of the negotiated
| settlement they reached in January 2009 to
| disconnect subscribers "repeatedly" using P2P
| for (alleged) illicit downloading. This was
| the result of the Irish court case brought
| against them by various parts of the music
| industry for hosting illegal downloads, and
| appeared to open up a route to "voluntary"
| notice and disconnection schemes on the part
| of the ISP industry; a worrying trend both for
| advocates of free speech, privacy, due
| process, ISP immunity and net neutrality.
`----

http://blogscript.blogspot.com/2010/02/filtering-round-up-french-filtering.html

UK Music complains to BBC over report on Digital Economy Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| UK Music has filed a formal complaint to the
| BBC over what it believes is a breach of the
| corporation's editorial guidelines on accuracy
| and impartiality. The complaint relates to an
| an edition of The Culture Show broadcast on
| BBC2 on 4 February, 2010, which featured a
| segment on the Digital Economy Bill (DEB),
| which includes measures on clamping down on
| illegal filesharing.
|
| The umbrella organisation that promotes the
| interests of Britain's music industry claimed
| the programme-makers misrepresented certain
| facts relating to the bill that had been
| presented to them in advance. In a letter to
| the editor of the show, UK Music stated that
| this resulted in a broadcast it believes was
| not only grossly misleading and inaccurate,
| but also misinformed the audience in a biased
| and prejudicial manner.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2010/feb/19/digital-media-bbc

BBC iplayer DRM raises its head again: now for the iphone

,----[ Quote ]
| But with iplayer, and other DRM systems, you
| are point blank breaking the law if you take
| that speech and use it â even though you wish
| to exercise your right to free speech,
| supposedly guaranteed in copyright law. This
| is because it is also illegal to get round
| copy restriction systems.
|
| Thatâs right. You must break the law to use
| your legal rights. Thatâs very wrong. In a
| world full of bloggers, where free speech is
| genuinely being exercised publicly by
| thousands of individuals, these rights really
| matter.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/bbc-iplayer-drm-raises-its-head-again

[BBC presenter] Ray Gosling had already told friends about killing his former lover

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/17/ray-gosling-killing-friends-knew

Newspaper publishers lean on the BBC Trust

,----[ Quote ]
| THE NEWSPAPER PUBLISHERS ASSOCIATION (NPA),
| which is adopting a King Canute strategy
| against new technology, is trying to stop the
| BBC from making its content available on
| mobile phones.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1592704/newspaper-publishers-lean-bbc-trust

Recent:

Why did Ofcom back down over DRM at the BBC?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/feb/09/ofcom