[News] Olympic Bullies Use Intellectual Monopoles to Abuse Shop

  • Subject: [News] Olympic Bullies Use Intellectual Monopoles to Abuse Shop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:03:49 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Olympic bullying drives goggle-maker to verse

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/20/olympic-bullying-dri.html

IOC Claims Olympian Lindsey Vonn's Name As Intellectual Property

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/02/18/2253224/IOC-Claims-Olympian-Lindsey-Vonns-Name-As-Intellectual-Property?from=twitter

Blonde we like wins Downhill (Last name rhymes with "Bonn")

,----[ Quote ]
| There once was a lawyer from the IOC,
| who called us to protect "intellectual
| property."
|
| "During the Olympics", she said with a sneer
| "your site can't use an Olympian's name even
| if they use your gear."
|
| "No pictures, no video, no blog posts can be
| used..."
| Even if they are old? "No!", she enthused.
|
| While Olympians chase gold the IOC pursues
| green.
| Cough up millions, or your logo cannot be
| seen.
`----

http://www.uvexsports.com/2010/02/blonde-we-like-wins-downhill-last-name.html

Disney Decides To Kick A Dying Man Over Copyright Issues

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002605

Recent:

Vancouver Olympics Demands All Copyrights And Royalties From Musician Just To Hear Her Song

,----[ Quote ]
| And, of course, acting in a maximalist manner
| also means little respect for anyone else's
| intellectual property or free speech rights.
| We've already noted that some musicians have
| complained about a contractual gag order, that
| forbids any musician performing at any
| Olympics event to speak ill of the Olympics
| ever. However, it appears that the Vancouver
| Olympics folks are taking the maximalism even
| further. Michael Scott points us to a
| complaint from a musician who wrote a song
| which she thought the Olympic committee might
| like. She sent it to them, and was surprised
| to get back a contract demanding she sign over
| all ownership and royalties associated with
| the song before they would even listen to
| it. And, of course, it would also grant
| them the ability to do whatever they wanted
| with the song.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091220/2321187440.shtml

Erroneous DMCA notices and copyright enforcement, part deux

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago, I wrote about a deluge of
| DMCA notices and pre-settlement letters
| that CoralCDN experienced in late August.
| This article actually received a bit of
| press, including MediaPost, ArsTechnica,
| TechDirt, and, very recently, Slashdot. I'm
| glad that my own experience was able to
| shed some light on the more insidious
| practices that are still going on under the
| umbrella of copyright enforcement. More
| transparency is especially important at
| this time, given the current debate over
| the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.
|
| Given this discussion, I wanted to write a
| short follow-on to my previous post.
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/mfreed/erroneous-dmca-notices-and-copyright-enforcement-part-deux

Vancouver orders removal of anti-Olympic mural

,----[ Quote ]
| The city issued the order under its graffiti
| bylaw, but it comes in the wake of a debate
| over a controversial city sign bylaw that
| opponents feared would allow officials to
| stifle anti-Olympic expression.
`----

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=22178.html

AOC prepares for legal action over report

,----[ Quote ]
| THE Australian Olympic Committee is
| preparing legal action against a company
| behind the Federal Government's report into
| the future of Australian sport.
|
| The Crawford report, which last week called
| for a shift in funding away from Olympic
| sports towards professional and ''national
| pysche'' sports, paid for advice from a
| company part-owned by former AFL star James
| Hird.
|
| The company, Gemba Group, criticised the
| AOC, comparing it unfavourably to the US
| Olympic Committee in its report to the panel
| of experts.
`----

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/aoc-prepares-for-legal-action-over-report/2009/11/23/1258824670339.html

Vanoc says new Lululemon clothing line violates Olympic 'sportsmanship'

,----[ Quote ]
| Vancouver Olympic officials say they're
| disappointed with yoga-wear retailer
| Lululemon over the chain's alleged attempt
| to profit from the Games without being an
| official sponsor.
|
| Lululemon launched a clothing line this week
| called its "Cool Sporting Event That Takes
| Place in British Columbia Between 2009 and
| 2011 Edition."
`----

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Vanoc+says+Lululemon+clothing+line+violates+Olympic+sportsmanship/2346164/story.html

Vancouver Olympics Unhappy With 'Cool Sporting Event That Takes Place in British Columbia Between 2009 and 2011 Edition' Slogan

,----[ Quote ]
| But, of course, that's not what's going on
| here at all. They're not trying to profit
| off of the Olympic Games. They're trying to
| profit off of the ridiculous free speech
| restrictions put in place by the Olympics
| for no good reason.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091216/0816517384.shtml

European Court of Human Rights Says Media Can Protect Anonymous Sources

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/media_law_prof_blog/2009/12/european-court-of-human-rights-says-media-can-protect-anonymous-sources.html

Vancouver orders removal of anti-Olympic mural

,----[ Quote ]
| The city of Vancouver has ordered the removal
| of a mural hanging outside a Downtown
| Eastside gallery depicting the Olympic rings
| as four sad faces and one smiley face.
|
| The gallery says in 10 years, it has never
| before been asked to remove any work.
|
| The city issued the order under its graffiti
| bylaw, but it comes in the wake of a debate
| over a controversial city sign bylaw that
| opponents feared would allow officials to
| stifle anti-Olympic expression.
`----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/british-columbia/vancouver-orders-removal-of-anti-olympic-mural/article1396541/

Olympics Online, With a Hook

,----[ Quote ]
| But for many industry executives who compete with Microsoft, the worldâs
| largest software company, the Silverlight strategy recalls a federal
| antitrust case in which Microsoft was found guilty of using its market muscle
| to stifle competition from the Web.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/sports/olympics/10stream.html?_r=1&ref=technology&oref=slogin
http://tinyurl.com/68vvz8

An Update on the International Olympic Committeeâs Threatening Letter to Flickr User Richard Giles

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://thomashawk.com/2009/10/an-update-on-the-international-olympic-committees-threatening-letter-to-flickr-user-richard-giles.html