[News] Moody and TechDirt Respond to More Microsoft Racketeering

  • Subject: [News] Moody and TechDirt Respond to More Microsoft Racketeering
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:54:43 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Amazon Sells GNU/Linux down the River

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has consistently refused to give any
| details of its absurd FUD about GNU/Linux
| infringing on its patents, which is not
| surprising, since they are likely to be
| completely bogus and/or trivial. So Amazon is
| showing real pusillanimity in making this
| unnecessary deal. Shame on you, Jeff.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/02/amazon-sells-gnulinux-down-river.html

For those who don't know, Amazon has been filled with former Microsoft
execs for a few years now.

Amazon Has To Pay Microsoft To Use Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| While since it's a straight cross-licensing
| deal, it doesn't sound like any money changed
| hands, but effectively Amazon had to "pay" by
| licensing its own patents. It does seem pretty
| problematic, doesn't it, when a company has to
| "pay" Microsoft (whether in cash or via
| licenses to its own patents) just to use
| Linux? Perhaps it's time to redefine the
| "Microsoft tax."

Microsoft licenses out exFAT file system

,----[ Quote ]
| In February 2009, news broke that Microsoft had
| filed a patent infringement lawsuit against
| TomTom, alleging that the device maker's
| products, including some that are Linux-based,
| infringe on patents related to Microsoft's
| FAT32 filesystem. In March 2009, Microsoft and
| TomTom settled their controversial patent
| dispute, TomTom licensed the patents from
| Microsoft, and stated its intent to remove from
| its Linux kernel the code that is covered by
| the patents.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/12/microsoft-licenses-out-exfat-file-system.ars

Rambus soothes EC ire with lower prices

,----[ Quote ]
| The American memory chip designer has been
| fighting allegations that it intentionally
| concealed that it had patents and patent
| applications connected to DRAM chips, which
| later became an industry standard. It's
| accused of charging abusive licensing rates
| for the technology once its "patent ambush"
| was sprung.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/11/ec_drops_rambus_charges/

Intellectual Ventures' patent protection racket

http://slashdot.org/submission/1068513/Intellectual-Ventures-patent-protection-racket

Nathan Myhrvoldâs Evil Genius

,----[ Quote ]

`----