[News] Broadband Providers Retreat from Web Intervention

  • Subject: [News] Broadband Providers Retreat from Web Intervention
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:55:55 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is AT&T Shutting Down Metered Billing Trials?

,----[ Quote ]
| We reached out to AT&T for confirmation,
| and while AT&T confirmed to Broadband
| Reports that they were no longer signing up
| users to the trial, they wouldn't
| technically confirm that the trials had
| been scrapped. "We are no longer adding new
| customers to the trial," says AT&T's Seth
| Bloom. "We are still reviewing the lessons
| and feedback we've gained from the trial so
| far to guide our next steps," he says. "We
| don't have any other plans to share at this
| time, but we'll communicate with our
| customers once we've decided how we'll move
| forward."
`----

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/107012

Plans to cut off internet connections of illegal filesharers dumped

,----[ Quote ]
| The government has backed away from its
| proposals in the Digital Economy Bill to
| cut off people who have illegally shared
| files online.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/feb/22/plans-cut-off-connections-illegal-filesharers

Has the government changed its position on Disconnection? No

,----[ Quote ]
| Please do not be confused by the
| governmentâs semantics. BIS and DCMS
| decided in the summer that they would not
| refer to âdisconnectingâ users, because
| that sounds harsh and over the top.
| âTemporary account suspensionâ sounds much
| more reasonable.
|
| Language matters. What journalist is going
| to run a story on âtemporary account
| suspensionâ (yawn)? This is why the
| government has chosen these disingenuous
| terms: itâs just more spin.
|
| What we still donât know is how long a
| familyâs internet might be disconnected
| for.
|
| A month? Three? A year? There is nothing in
| the Bill or any of the notes that we are
| aware of that might give us a clue.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/has-the-government-changed-its-position-on-disconnection-no

Recent:

Net Neutrality: A simple guide

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's recently announced plan to set up
| trial fiber optic networks in the US with
| ultra-high speed Internet connections puts
| the long running national debate over Net
| Neutrality back into high gear.
|
| A hot topic of discussion and debate in
| government and telecom circles since at
| least 2003, Net Neutrality, actually
| involves a broad array of topics,
| technologies and players
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/in-depth/index.cfm?articleid=3028

Net Throttling Hasn't Stopped

,----[ Quote ]
| Canadian Internet service providers fall
| short on net neutrality rules, testing
| CRTC's patience.
`----

http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2010/02/16/GeistThrottlingUpdate/

Ridiculous Arguments: Net Neutrality Would Mean No iPhones

,----[ Quote ]
| I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
| I'm very much against enforcing net
| neutrality through legislation (too many
| unintended consequences) but I'm stunned at
| the ridiculous and totally bogus reasons
| given by those fighting against those
| regulations in support of their claims. The
| latest on this front is Stephen Titch, a
| policy analyst at the Reason Foundation (a
| group whose work I usually think is quite
| good), coming out with a policy brief
| making the ludicrous argument that network
| neutrality would mean no more iPhones.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100216/0412108180.shtml

Parties Lobby FCC on Net Neutrality