[News] ACTA and USTR Revisited: Corruption Meets Copyrights

  • Subject: [News] ACTA and USTR Revisited: Corruption Meets Copyrights
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:04:52 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Tech Company Lobbying Group Explains The Importance Of Letting Countries Make Their Own Policy Decisions On Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| So it's great -- if not surprising -- to
| see that the CCIA's filing to the USTR for
| the Special 301 report (pdf) actually
| matches much of my own filing, though from
| a more legalistic perspective (and focuses
| on Canada). The key points are the same,
| however: the Constitutional basis for
| copyright has never been that "more is
| better," but that we should be seeking the
| most effective ways to "promote the
| progress." Second, it notes that countries
| should be free to make their own policy
| decisions on copyright law, rather than
| being pressured into them by the US. It
| further notes that the USTR Special 301
| process shouldn't be focused on legislative
| and policy issues, but merely enforcement
| of the law. Unfortunately, it's gotten far
| away from that.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100222/0022588245.shtml

ACTA's Internet Chapter Leaks; And, Now We See How Sneaky The Negotiators Have Been

,----[ Quote ]
| Reports spread this weekend that the ACTA's
| all-important internet enforcement chapter had
| leaked. You can download the PDF from that
| link, or check it out below:
| From here, you can see why this is still quite | a dangerous document -- and why there's been
| so much misinformation from its supporters,
| insisting that it "can't change US law," or
| even (as stated by the USTR) that it won't
| include three strikes. It doesn't. Sort of.
| But it does make it very very difficult for
| any online service provider to get safe
| harbors without doing something along those
| lines. Let's explore deeper...
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100222/0215038248.shtml

Recent:

ACTA "internet enforcement" chapter leaks

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/21/acta-internet-enforc.html

World going barmy over copyright enforcement

,----[ Quote ]
| IT IS NOT CLEAR how accurate it is yet but
| someone has posted a copy of what appears
| to be the crucial enforcement section of
| the secret copyright treaty that the
| publishing cartels want the world to
| accept.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1592981/world-barmy-copyright-enforcement

ACTA leak shows US Trade Rep lied about "3-strikes"

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/02/21/acta-leak-shows-us-t.html

ACTA Internet Chapter Leaks: Renegotiates WIPO, Sets 3 Strikes as Model

,----[ Quote ]
| Several months after a European Union memo
| discussing the ACTA Internet chapter
| leaked, the actual chapter itself has now
| leaked.  First covered by PC World, the
| new leak fully confirms the earlier
| reports and mirrors the language found in
| the EU memo.  This is the chapter that
| required non-disclosure agreements last
| fall.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4808/125/

Adding up the explanations for ACTA's "shameful secret"

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is an intellectual property treaty being
| negotiated in the name of the US public kept
| quiet as a matter of national security and
| treated as "some shameful secret"?
|
| Solid information on the Anti-Counterfeiting
| Trade Agreement (ACTA) has been hard to come
| by, but Google on Monday hosted a panel
| discussion on ACTA at its DC offices. Much of
| the discussion focused on transparency, and
| why there's so little of it on ACTA, even from
| an administration that has made transparency
| one of its key goals.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/01/actas-shameful-secret.ars

U.S. Ambassador David Jacobson â Intellectual Property Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, Ambassador, a lot of Canadians donât
| think U.S. Intellectual Property Laws are in
| the best interest of Americans or Canadians
| either. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act
| of 1998 comes to mind. Do you have any proof
| (specifically peer reviewed studies) proving
| that the DMCA has any benefit to the citizens
| of the United States? And if you donât have
| any proof, when do you intend to provide it?
`----

http://madhatter.ca/?p=117

Oh, a new ACTA document

,----[ Quote ]
| How do you request it? Very simple, fill out
| the form and enter the document number
| 17779/09 as the document you request. Then
| the Council secretariat has 15 days to
| respond, either it would grant you access
| and submit the reasons for refusal.
|
| Here is stops for most persons. You have
| against 15 days for a confirmatory
| application. When the confirmatory
| application is denied you can complain to
| the EU-Ombudsman or sue the Commission.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/oh-a-new-acta-document/

Google DC Talk on ACTA