Re: FOSS devs can collect damages from license violators

____/ Homer on Wednesday 24 Feb 2010 08:27 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno spake thusly:
>> <Quote>
>> Robert Jacobson, the developer behind the open source Java Model
>> Railroad Interface (JMRI) project, finally prevailed in a
>> long-running open source software license enforcement lawsuit against
>> Matthew Katzer, the owner of a company that sells commercial model
>> train software.
> [...]
>> </Quote>
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/02/ruling-foss-devs-can-
collect-damages-from-license-violators.ars

> This is a major victory against the Katzer troll:
>
> [quote]
> 1. A permanent injunction will be entered by the Court, expressly
>    forbidding Katzer from further misuse of the software that JMRI has
>    created, and forbidding him to register any domain names that should
>    rightly belong to us.

> 2. Katzer explicitly releases all JMRI users and developers from any
>    liability for anything related to JMRI, up until 18 months from now.
>    This means that he can't try to extract patent royalties, claim
>    infringement, argue that somebody infringed a copyright, or anything
>    else. He has no right to complain about anything we've done in the
>    past or will do in the near future.

> 4. Katzer will pay $100,000, spread over the next 18 months.
> [/quote]
>
> http://jmri.sourceforge.net/k/History.shtml
>

> IMO this is not enough. Katzer should be jailed, his company should be
> liquidated, and his assets striped then given to the JMRI project. He's
> a nasty, vicious little thug, and deserves no less.

The law enforcers are busy handling other more important crimes and jailing
hungry shoplifters or kids who smoke plants.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/0        :0               Fri Feb 12 10:02   still logged in