[News] MSBBC Blocks Free Software Again

BBC iPlayer rejects open source plugins, takes Flash-only path

,----[ Quote ]
| The BBC has quietly updated its hugely
| popular iPlayer with a verification layer
| that closes the door on open source
| implementations of RTMP (real-time messaging
| protocol) streaming, The Register has
| learned.
|
| The Beeb applied the update to its online
| video catch-up service on 18 February, just
| four days after Adobe Systems penned a
| corporate blog post about its âcontent
| protection offeringsâ.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/24/iplayer_xbmc_adobe_swf_verification/

Recent:

How do you spend Â639 on a taxi? Ask the BBC's technology chief

,----[ Quote ]
| As the BBC's director of future media and
| technology, Eric Huggers is accustomed to
| wrestling with the most tricky questions
| relating to the corporation's role in a
| rapidly changing digital age.
|
| But even he may find himself struggling to
| answer one conundrum thrown up by his newly
| released expenses claims: how is it possible
| to justify spending Â638.73 on a taxi?
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/feb/09/bbc-expenses-huggers-taxis

EIM: We refused Microsoft's orgies and paid for it

,----[ Quote ]
| Relations between EIM Computerized
| Technologies Ltd. and Microsoft Corporation
| (Nasdaq: MSFT) have always been sensitive,
| but EIM's statement of defense in a lawsuit
| against the software giant sets a new
| standard.
|
| EIM, was one of Microsoft's largest
| distributors in Israel until mid-2005, when
| their contract expired. In the statement of
| defense filed with the Tel Aviv District
| Court, EIM claims that its relations with
| Microsoft broke down because EIM's
| employees refused to participate in sex and
| drug orgies on a cruise organized by
| Microsoft in May 2005 for its Israeli and
| Turkish distributors.
|
| EIM alleges, "For the pleasure cruise,
| Microsoft, or people on its behalf, invited
| women who provided sexual services for
| money. During this cruise, the Microsoft
| representative encouraged the participants
| in the cruise to party with these women,
| including receiving said services. They
| were also offered banned substances."
`----

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=1000533636

Related:

Dirk-Willem van Gulik appointed BBC Future Media & Technology Chief Technical
Architect

,----[ Quote ]
| Erik Huggers, BBC Future Media and Technology Group Controller, has appointed
| Dirk-Willem van Gulik as the division's Chief Technical Architect.
|
| [...]
|
| Dirk-Willem is a recognised contributor to the Open Source Community and has
| been a board member of the Apache Software Foundation since its inception.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/01_january/17/gulik.shtml

BBC Director General grilled by MPs on iPlayer

,----[ Quote ]
| During the meeting there is discussion of iPlayerâs total cost to the licence
| fee-payer - the BBC representatives are unable to give a figure, but start
| the bidding at Â20m, excluding staff costs. Thomson gives incorrect
| information - that Mac and Linux versions of iPlayer have the same
| functionality as Windows versions - and has to change his evidence at the
| end. Perhaps it was this confusion that prompted Dr John Pugh MP to follow up
| the encounter with a letter direct to Mark Thomson today discussing platform
| neutrality in greater detail. A copy of this letter has been passed to the
| Open Rights Group.
`----

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/01/10/bbc-director-general-grilled-by-mps-on-iplayer/

BBC Corrupted

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft. With
| today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most basic of
| duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line distribution
| of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a Microsoft operating
| system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin to saying you must
| own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept the Digital
| Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You simply cannot be
| allowed to be in control of your computer according to the BBC.
`----

http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted

BBC iPlayer Protests

,----[ Quote ]