[News] 9 GNU/Linux Desktop Projects and Why Skype (Proprietary) is Nasty

  • Subject: [News] 9 GNU/Linux Desktop Projects and Why Skype (Proprietary) is Nasty
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:50:39 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nine Linux projects in 90 minutes

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/nine-linux-projects-90-minutes

Corporate IT won't run Linux desktops because of the 'Skype attitude'

,----[ Quote ]
| 76% of issues in the JIRA database are new.
| Compare this with the Windows client, where
| 21% of issues are new. It seems that Skype
| is truly uninterested in their Linux user
| base, expending minimal or no resources on
| it. Even if you take into account that the
| Linux client is several steps back from the
| Windows version and the development team is
| apparently working on a new version, the
| number of open issues is still worrying
| (they claim to be in a late Beta stage, but
| audio does not work with a large proportion
| of modern OS versions and there is no
| timeline to fix it). So, Lesson #1, DON'T INSTALL A
| BETA VERSION OF SKYPE IF YOU WANT TO CALL
| PEOPLE!
|
| [...]
|
| It appears that in Skype's mind, all Linux
| users are potential Beta testers of their
| software. We all want to suffer software
| failures and issues. We also apparently want
| no way to ever recover from them, unless we
| follow Skype's unknown and unpublished
| roadmap. This is the attitude to the Linux
| desktop of a large commercial software
| provider. Maybe this helps us understand why
| corporate IT is so reluctant about
| installing Linux desktops - even if they
| don't want Skype on their networks, they
| can't trust a highly visible commercial
| company to write Linux software that works
| and manage it professionally, so what hope
| is there of trusting free, open source
| organizations from doing the right thing?
`----

http://blog.consected.com/2010/02/corporate-it-wont-run-linux-desktops.html

Recent:

Skype for Linux 2.1 Beta 2 adds screen sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly five months after the release of the
| first beta, the Skype for Linux developers
| have announced the availability of the
| second beta for version 2.1 of their Linux
| Skype client. In addition to several
| localisation updates and bug fixes, version
| 2.1.0.81 of Skype for Linux adds a number
| of new features that have been available on
| Mac and Windows editions of Skype for some
| time. The full release for Windows is
| currently at version 4.1 and for Mac OS X
| is at version 2.8.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Skype-for-Linux-2-1-Beta-2-adds-screen-sharing-909596.html

Skype tells the FCC to require net neutrality.

,----[ Quote ]
| VOICE OVER IP AND CHAT OUTFIT Skype has
| been pressing its case in favour of net
| neutrality to the US Federal Communications
| Commision (FCC).
|
| Skype, which is based on its own
| proprietary technology, depends on net
| neutrality to survive. If the telcos and
| some ISPs get their way, Skype punters will
| probably be identified as filesharers and
| get throttled to within an inch of their
| lives.
|
| Skype told the FCC that net neutrality was
| "about growing the broadband ecosystem and
| preserving a borderless, open Internet" and
| that it would "promote investment, jobs and
| innovation."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1587334/skype-tells-fcc-require-net-neutrality

Skype preps open source Linux VoIP UI