[News] Debate About Diversity in GNU/Linux Distribution is Returning

  • Subject: [News] Debate About Diversity in GNU/Linux Distribution is Returning
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:12:11 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The number of Linux distros - A strength or weakness?

,----[ Quote ]
| So to sum it up, I don't agree per se that
| the number of Linux distros is either a good
| thing or a bad one. It is just a matter of
| available choices to satisfy different needs
| of different people from different parts of
| the globe.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/02/number-of-linux-distros-strength-or.html

too much choice can sometimes be a bad thing

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, to sum it up,  some advice, if youâre
| thinking of switching to something other
| than Windows, and other than mac, and all
| you want is a decent desktop system, I would
| suggest you go with Ubuntu, itâs the distro
| I had the least problems with, and that you
| can get up and running even if youâre
| neither a programmer nor a system
| administrator.
`----

http://igorfazlyev.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/too-much-choice-can-sometimes-be-a-bad-thing/

Raster to be the default Qt4 graphics engine @ Gentoo Linux

http://hwoarang.silverarrow.org/?p=583

Recent:

Fragmentation good for the user, says Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
| Fragmentation within mobile platforms helps handset manufacturers
| and software developers to properly address customers' needs, a
| senior Nokia executive has said.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013788o-2000331761b,00.htm

Distribution Variation

,----[ Quote ]
| I could use one variant that let
| me choose my desktop environment and applications during
| install time. The installer could use either a network
| repository, or on disc repository depending on the ISO file.
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2009/09/distribution-variation.html

Torvalds rejects one-size-fits-all Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/246534/torvalds-rejects-onesizefitsall-linux.html