[News] Mandriva and OLPC Get ARM Power, Future Looks Good

  • Subject: [News] Mandriva and OLPC Get ARM Power, Future Looks Good
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:28:15 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Mandriva Joins ARM Connected Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva, Europe's leading Linux publisher,
| today announced it is a new member in the
| ARMÂ Connected Community, the industryâs
| largest ecosystem of ARM technology-based
| products and services. As part of the ARM
| Connected Community, Mandriva will gain
| access to a full range of resources to help
| it market and deploy innovative solutions
| that will enable developers to get their ARM
| Powered products to market faster.
`----

http://www.mandriva.com/enterprise/en/company/press/mandriva-joins-arm-connected-community

ARM Launches a Smarter Brain for The Internet of Things

,----[ Quote ]
| So ARM added some digital signal processing
| capabilities to the chip. Think of it as
| sending the silicon to school so it can
| learn algebraâafter realizing that basic
| math doesnât cut it anymore. Already NXP,
| Texas Instruments and ST Microelectronics
| have licensed the cores and expect products
| containing the chip to hit the market in
| 2011. Some areas weâll see it are in smart
| appliances for âtalking toâ to the smart
| grid (GigaOM Pro sub. reqâd), and as a way
| to add better audio quality to everything
| from headsets to Mp3 players without adding
| a lot of cost.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2010/02/22/arm-launches-a-smarter-brain-for-the-internet-of-things/

Saving the World, One Laptop at a Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Negroponte believes that, in addition to
| educating children, the computers enable
| both girls and boys to become agents for
| social change. "We find in Peru that as many
| as 50 percent of the kids, because they are
| in remote villages, are teaching their
| parents how to read and write."
`----

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/american-life/Saving-the-World-1-Laptop-at-a-Time-85032157.html