[News] Free Software Spreading to Games, Spurs "Innovation"

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Spreading to Games, Spurs "Innovation"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 17:36:43 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Please talk while gaming, with VoiceChatter

,----[ Quote ]
| Playing a game with friends over the
| Internet is great, but typing conversations
| lacks the immediacy of a real conversation.
| Thatâs the filled by VoiceChatter, a free
| voice communication application primarily
| designed to be used during games, though it
| can be used for all sorts of purposes. It
| allows you to vocally talk to groups of
| other people over the Internet.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/blog/please-talk-while-gaming-with-voicechatter/

Diffusion of Open Source Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source innovation backbone for
| startups mentions Google, FaceBook and
| Twitter sustaining innovations, reporting
| that are all heavily based on open source
| software. Beyond standing on giantsâ
| shoulders, companies like Google are engaged
| at tactical and strategic level with open
| source communities, and they are not alone.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2010/02/24/diffusion-of-open-source-innovation/

Free Software, Private Property

,----[ Quote ]
| The main thrust of the article is that Open
| Source companies could exclude people from
| using Free Software. The specific
| hypothetical being Red Hat increasing the
| inconvenience of downloading an .iso â
| technically they are meeting the obligation
| of providing the source, but they are adding
| âhurdlesâ to make it not worth the effort.
|
| The basic point holds â a company could
| ostensibly pretend to be Open Source-
| friendly but take all sorts of âextra-
| licenseâ measures to work around âthe spirit
| of Open Sourceâ.
|
| Why would a company do that?
|
| Consider a company like Red Hat, well-
| respected and considered genuine in its
| commitment to Open Source. Imagine, what
| would happen if Red Hat did try to fiddle
| with download access: not only would the
| community nerd-rage with the intensity of a
| million exploding blue LEDs, not only would
| Red Hat suffer a credibility hit of biblical
| proportions, but someone would just put up a
| torrent and work around the problem.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/02/free-software-private-property/

Will open source ever be completely free?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, will open source drive prices to $0.00?
| Yes, for some workloads and in some
| scenarios, like infrastructure that will be
| expected to be free. But expect the smart
| open-source companies to make plenty of
| money in this service-enabled, cloud-hungry
| world.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10458136-16.html

"China has long been seen as a fertile ground for Linux and other open
source software. In a country where more than 90% of software in use is
pirated, it seems like a natural fit."

                        http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/50004.html

Recent:

How piracy benefits Microsoft