[News] Computer Recycling Centre to Install Fedora GNU/Linux on Old PCs

  • Subject: [News] Computer Recycling Centre to Install Fedora GNU/Linux on Old PCs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 08:18:46 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why we Use Fedora and not Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| In the long run, computer recycling centers
| like ours may not have a big impact on the
| spread of Fedora but we feel like we will
| have been a great help to many family's in
| need and at least we will have done a small
| part in helping out on the environmental
| impact of the toxins from these e-waste from
| these computers by keeping them out of
| landfill.
`----

http://www.crossbytes.org/computer-recycling-center/hot-news/whyweusefedoraandnotmicrosoft

Ubuntu Out Fedora In

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we put out another computer system for
| the Share Homestead in Vancouver Wa. The
| thing that I noticed today was that they have
| their systems running on Ubuntu. It is a
| shame that they seemed to have failed to
| follow up and make sure their systems were
| still up and running..I think that received
| their systems from Free Geek when they were
| located in Vancouver also.
`----

http://www.crossbytes.org/computer-recycling-center/hot-news/ubuntuoutfedorain

Recent:

Please say Fedora

,----[ Quote ]
| Typically I am really good at understanding
| an Indian dialect because the area of
| Chicago I grew up in was largely an Indian
| population. The person on the phone was a
| bit harder to understand and I believe the
| reason was because they had a mix of the
| Indian dialect with a distinct southern US
| draw. Anyways, after talking to the AT&T
| tech support person for a few minutes, I
| started telling him what was going on and
| what I had done thus far. He asked what
| version of Windows I was using to test and I
| told him I wasnât using Windows and instead
| was using Linux. I expected the âWe donât
| support Linuxâ comment, but was floored when
| he said, âPlease say you are using Fedora.â
| I chimed in with a âSorry, using Kubuntu.â
| He chuckled then said, âSome people will
| never learn.â We shot little jabs back and
| forth at each other having a bit of fun
| while he was doing a modem test. In the end
| they figured out it was their issue and some
| AT&T techie will be out there today to fix
| the issue.
`----

http://blog.nixternal.com/2010.02.18/please-say-fedora/

Fedora 13 Features Preview