[News] Facebook Software Patent Shows Need for Reform

  • Subject: [News] Facebook Software Patent Shows Need for Reform
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:14:24 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Because Without Patents, No One Would Ever Come Up With News Feeds

,----[ Quote ]
| The purpose of the patent system should be
| to create incentives to come up with
| something that is both new and non-
| obvious, which would not be created
| without that incentive. And, then, of
| course, the idea is to share that
| information with the world, via the
| patent.

Facebook's news-feed patent could mean lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| Facebook this week was awarded a patent
| pertaining to streaming "feed" technology
| -- more specifically, "dynamically
| providing a news feed about a user of a
| social network," complementing another
| patent filing that has been published but
| not yet approved.
`----

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/02/26/facebook.patent/index.html

Infineon files patent infringement suit against Elpida

,----[ Quote ]
| German Chipmaker Infineon Technologies and
| its subsidiary Infineon Technologies North
| America have filed a complaint with the US
| International Trade Commission (ITC)
| against Elpida Memory seeking to prevent
| Elpida from importing and selling certain
| DRAM semiconductors and products in the
| US.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/news/infineon_files_patent_infringement_suit_against_elpida_100222

New Industry Springs Up Overnight: Filing Patent Marking Suits Over False Patent Claims

,----[ Quote ]
| A few years back, we wrote about some
| lawsuits that were filed against companies
| who were still listing expired patents on
| their products, implying that those
| products were still protected by the
| patents. The practice of claiming patent
| coverage over something that isn't
| patented is known as "patent marking," and
| it's become very popular lately. AdamR
| alerted us to the news that Activision was
| recently sued for patent marking, in
| listing out patents on certain games that
| don't cover what's in those games. But
| that's just the tip of the iceberg.
|
| Joe Mullin points us to the news that, in
| just the past few months, it looks like a
| bunch of lawyers have started going around
| filing patent marking lawsuits. In at
| least some of these cases, totally
| different groups of lawyers have sued the
| exact same companies over the same
| patents.

Leahy: Patent Deal Is Close

,----[ Quote ]
| Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy,
| D-Vt., announced Thursday that he has
| reached a tentative agreement on patent
| overhaul legislation with the panel's
| ranking member Jeff Sessions, R-Ala. "We
| have reached a tentative agreement in
| principle that preserves the core of the
| compromise struck in committee last year,"
| Leahy said in a statement. Leahy said he
| hoped to release details of the agreement
| "in the coming days" after consulting with
| other senators and House lawmakers.
|
| [...]
|
| The Innovation Alliance, which has been
| critical of the bill, said the changes
| "appear to be a positive step in the right
| direction."
`----

http://techdailydose.nationaljournal.com/2010/02/leahy-patent-deal-is-close.php

It's Back: Patent Reform Deal Expected Shortly

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100225/1557268316.shtml

Recent:

Lessons From Software For Patents, vs. Solving the Software Patent Problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Software patents may be going the way of network neutrality: an arcane policy
| problem once the preserve of a small circle of wonks is becoming a
| politicized slanging match. In both cases an esoteric but important research
| question has become a point of leverage for certain interest groups. In both
| cases the subject (ânetwork neutralityâ, âsoftware patentsâ) is at best
| poorly defined, typically has multiple possible meanings, and at worst is so
| vague as to be useless. And in both cases, the poster child is the small-time
| innovator, while the sugar daddy is a big money player minimizing costs (e.g.
| content providers who love net neutrality, and VCs who hate software
| patents).
`----

http://deepfreeze9.blogspot.com/2009/03/lessons-from-software-for-patents-vs.html

Editorial: High tech needs patent reform

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_12076041?nclick_check=1