[News] Patent Troll Gregory Girard Arrested

Set for 'Armageddon': Inventor Nabbed With Explosives, Double-Edged Knives

,----[ Quote ]
| The inventor who holds the patent that was
| at the heart of two libel lawsuits against
| "Patent Troll Tracker" blogger Rick
| Frenkel and Cisco Systems was arrested
| last week, after police found an illegal
| stockpile of firearms, ammunition, and
| grenades in his home in Manchester, Mass.,
| about 30 miles from Boston.
|
| Gregory Girard, named inventor on U.S.
| Patent No. 7,283,519, believed he was
| readying himself for "Armageddon,"
| according to police. In addition to having
| around 20 firearms, Girard was stockpiling
| food and medicine, camouflage, and body
| armor, and had built an indoor shooting
| range in the attic of his condominium,
| according to accounts of the arrest in the
| Gloucester Daily Times and the Boston
| Globe. Girard had a license for the guns,
| but his explosives, double-edged knives,
| and habit of shooting indoors are all
| illegal.
|
| [...]
|
| Greg Girard did come up at the libel trial
| â but not as an Armageddon-fearing weapons
| hoarder. Instead, ESN's lawyers praised
| Girard as a brilliant individual inventor
| â the cornerstone of American innovation.
| George McAndrews, a founding partner of
| McAndrews, Held & Malloy and one of the
| lawyers representing ESN in the suit
| against Cisco, praised Girard in a letter
| to Cisco general counsel Mark Chandler:
| "Mr. Girard is exactly what the founding
| fathers had in mind when they penned the
| Patent Clause in the basic Article I of
| the U.S. Constitution." Frenkel's use of
| the term "Patent Troll" to describe ESN
| was "outrageous," wrote McAndrews. "Thomas
| Jefferson and Ben Franklin, both
| individual inventors like Mr. Girard, were
| also not manufacturers in the traditional
| sense," the letter said. "To call Mr.
| Girard and his company 'Patent Trolls' and
| to accuse him and his legal counsel of
| criminal activity is irresponsible, unfair
| and defamatory."
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202444085455&Set_for_Armageddon_Inventor_Nabbed_With_Explosives_DoubleEdged_Knives

Patent Litigation Weekly: Inventor from ESN v. Cisco and Troll
Tracker Lawsuits Arrested on Weapons Charges

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2010/02/greg-girard-esn-v-cisco-inventor-arrested-on-weapons-charges.html

Inventor Involved In Patent Troll Tracker Lawsuit Arrested For Weapons Stockpiling

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100225/0220418299.shtml

Police say man was preparing for Armageddon

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/02/11/police_say_man_with_weapons_cache_was_preparing_for_armageddon/

Patent trolls have got guns. Sociopaths. It figures.

Recent:

Cisco Systems Settles Defamation Suit Over Blog Posting

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202438981803&Cisco_Systems_Settles_Defamation_Suit_Over_Blog_Posting