[News] GNU/Linux for Beginners, the Ubuntu Way

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux for Beginners, the Ubuntu Way
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:11:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu for Beginners

,----[ Quote ]
| If I you decide to go with Ubuntu you need
| to pick which variation you want, Thereâs
| Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu. Ubuntu
| is probably the most common; it uses the
| GNOME graphical user interface. Kubuntu
| uses the KDE environment, Xubuntu uses Xfce
| (itâs great for older computers), and
| Edubuntu designed to be used in classrooms
| or other education environments. They all
| basically do the same thing, just look at
| some screenshots and pick the one you think
| you would enjoy using more.
|
| [...]
|
| Here is a video comparing the Windows Vista
| Aero desktop to the Ubuntu desktop with
| Compiz enabled. Loading up your system with
| a lot of Compiz effects can cause it to
| slow you down if you donât have a powerful
| machine. However, some people like to make
| things pretty so if thatâs you then take a
| look at this video: Windows Vista Aero vs
| Ubuntu Compiz
| Besides the stuff you see in that video you | can also draw on your screen with fire, you
| add rain drops to the screen, and much
| more.
`----

http://thepcreport.net/tutorials/ubuntu-for-beginners/

Good for the goose but not for the gander.

,----[ Quote ]
| So some people like windows. So what! I
| personally think that it is a badly
| designed pain in the rear end which only
| serves as a monetary black hole for a
| company who is trying its best to be a
| financial singularity. I like Linux. I
| think it is the best thing since sliced
| bread. What was that? So what if I use
| Gentoo. I don't care that it is not Ubuntu
| or Redhat. Whatever floats your boat.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/good-for-the-goose-but-not-for-the-gander-37253

Advene - Annotate Digital Video, Exchange on the net

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/advene-annotate-digital-video-exchange-on-the-net.html

Panel power in Ubuntu

http://mybroadband.co.za/blogs/2010/03/02/panel-power-in-ubuntu/

Recent:

Ubuntu Beginners Manual Coming With Lucid Lynx?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/official-ubuntu-beginners-manual-coming.html