[News] Linux Magazine on CeBIT Open Source (Germany), Allison Recalls Sun Days

  • Subject: [News] Linux Magazine on CeBIT Open Source (Germany), Allison Recalls Sun Days
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:19:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CeBIT Open Source Forum 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| For the second time in a row, CeBIT will be
| devoting an entire section to the topic of
| open source. The event will be supported by
| international industry associations and
| representative bodies such as the Linux
| Foundation, Linux International, the Free
| Software Foundation Europe and the LIVE Linux
| Association. The Open Source Forum will serve
| as the lively hub of the exhibition, which in
| turn features a diverse range of open source
| companies and independent projects.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Events/CeBIT-Open-Source-Forum-2010

Watching the Sun Set

,----[ Quote ]
| I joined Sun in 1989, fresh from a System
| Administration job at Manchester University. I
| was so excited. Finally, I was going to get
| the chance to see the inside of "real" UNIX !
| No more Minix hacking for me, I was finally
| going to get the chance to see and work on the
| source code for a real UNIX operating system.
| I wasn't disappointed. It was incredibly
| sophisticated, with a virtual memory system, a
| working network file system (NFS) and a state
| of the art graphical user interface (SunView).
| It was one of the most advanced systems
| available at the time.
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/303

Recent:

Open Source Gets Bigger CeBIT Spotlight

,----[ Quote ]
| That's the news coming out of Hannover,
| Germany the permanent home for the CeBIT
| show, where the CeBIT Open Source 2010
| event will be taking center stage at one of
| the largest expo halls according to show
| organizers Deutsche Messe. According to
| Britta WÃlfing, CeBIT Event Manager, the
| shift of the Open Source exhibition to the
| more prominent Hall 2 is a direct response
| to the huge popularity this segment of the
| show enjoyed in 2009.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/open-source-gets-bigger-cebit-spotlight

Debian Project at CeBIT 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian Project is happy to announce that
| it will again be represented at the CeBIT IT
| fair in Hanover, Germany, this year. At the
| booth of Univention GmbH in hall 2 stand B36,
| members of the project will be available for
| questions and discussions and will give a
| preview of the new version Debian 6.0
| "Squeeze", which is expected to be released
| this year.
|
| In addition the new port to the FreeBSD Kernel
| "Debian GNU/kFreeBSD" will be presented at the
| booth as well as in a introductory lecture.
| The lecture will take place on Tuesday, March
| 2nd 2010 at 5:15 pm at the CeBIT Open Source
| Forum (hall 2, stand F38).
`----

http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100222

CeBIT 2009: OpenStreetMap Wins Two Linux New Media Awards

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux New Media AG has presented its annual awards for outstanding
| contributions to Open Source at CeBIT 2009 in Hannover. The OpenStreetMap
| project ended up garnering two of the six Linux New Media awards.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/cebit_2009_openstreetmap_wins_two_linux_new_media_awards

See you at CeBIT?

,----[ Quote ]
| This year for the first time they have an open source sub-conference hiding
| pretty much unadvertised inside the event and I'll be speaking there on
| Wednesday March 4th at 3:15pm. I'll also be presenting one of the open source
| awards on March 5th in the evening.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/see_you_at_cebit

CeBIT Open Source: Live Stream of Forum Talks for Free

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/cebit_open_source_live_stream_of_forum_talks_for_free