[News] Anti-FOSS Lobby Leads to Open Letter to United States Trade Representative

  • Subject: [News] Anti-FOSS Lobby Leads to Open Letter to United States Trade Representative
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:30:25 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

An Open Letter to The United States Trade Representative

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently it was reported in the Guardian,
| an on-line newspaper, that the
| International Intellectual Property
| Alliance (IIPA) is requesting that the
| United States Trade Representative put
| Indonesia, Brazil and India on the "Special
| 301 Watchlist" specifically because those
| countries advocate the use of Free and Open
| Source Software (FOSS) in their economies.
|
| I have been in the software industry for
| over forty years, as a programmer,
| businessman, educator, author and
| entrepreneur. I have worked in some of the
| largest companies, both as a supplier of
| software and a customer of software.
|
| I have traveled to two of these three
| countries, and while I have not been to
| Indonesia, I helped formulate the FOSS
| policies of Malaysia, have worked with the
| government of Brazil, and presented many
| times in India. I know their cultures and
| their way of doing business.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Paw-Prints-Writings-of-the-maddog/An-Open-Letter-to-The-United-States-Trade-Representative

Open-Source Software: Bad, Evil and Un-American

,----[ Quote ]
| That's the view of the International
| Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA), a
| group of trade bodies that includes such
| notables as the Business Software Alliance,
| the Motion Picture Association of America
| (MPAA) and the Recording Industry
| Association of America (RIAA). The IIPA
| recently submitted its Orwellian-sounding
| "2010 Special 301 Report on Copyright
| Protection & Enforcement," an annual review
| of intellectual property protection and
| market access practices in foreign
| countries, to the U.S. Trade
| Representative. Ten countries make the
| "priority watch list" of naughty boys this
| year (down from 13 last year), including
| Indonesia.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/trends/article.php/3868046/Open-Source-Software-Bad-Evil-and-Un-American.htm

Recent:

Time To Rebut The IIPA's FUD Against Open Source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opensource.org/node/510