[News] [Rival] Rebuttals to Microsoft's DOJ Insider Who Wants to Punish Linux and Mac Users for Windows Botnets

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Rebuttals to Microsoft's DOJ Insider Who Wants to Punish Linux and Mac Users for Windows Botnets
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:48:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Security Exec Suggests Internet Tax To Pay For 'Computer Health Care' Program

,----[ Quote ]
| Tank Szuba alerts us to the story about a
| Microsoft security exec suggesting that it
| might make sense to implement an internet
| usage tax to help fund a "computer
| healthcare system" to fix the notoriously
| insecure software that his company
| produces.
|
| [...]
|
| Has he looked at how well healthcare has
| been working lately? Of course, as with
| healthcare, the real issue should be
| preventative efforts, and those mainly
| start with Microsoft and how it architects
| its software. But I guess it's easier to
| just ask everyone to pay a tax to hide
| that.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100302/1304158370.shtml

Improve Internet Health with a Microsoft Tax?

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea of Microsoft-funded PSAs
| advertising Linux as a way to avoid
| Internet-spread malware sounds much more
| reasonable than taxing all users to shore
| up defenses against Windows-based botnets.
| And it would give Microsoft an added
| incentive to work harder to solve the
| problem. If and when Windows-based botnets
| are a thing of the past, then the company
| could stop paying for the PSAs. At least
| that makes more sense than a general
| taxation for end users.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/improve-internet-health-with-a-microsoft-tax

Microsoft exec: Infected PCs should be quarantined (Q&A)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10462649-245.html

Governments should quarantine infected computers

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1594501/governments-quarantine-infected-computers

Related:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Botnets Running Rampant

,----[ Quote ]
| How much money is being stolen by cybercriminals? No one knows, and no one
| even knows how to go about coming up with that number, IronPort's Peterson
| said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144489/botnets_running_rampant.html

Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'