[News] More ARM Hits the Market (Almost Linux Only), Android/Linux Takes on Landline Phones

  • Subject: [News] More ARM Hits the Market (Almost Linux Only), Android/Linux Takes on Landline Phones
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 10:57:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux-ready ARM SoCs target diverse markets

,----[ Quote ]
| STMicroelectronics says it is now shipping
| four Linux-ready SoCs (system on chips),
| based on similar ARM926EJ-S cores but
| targeting different market segments. The
| SPEAr300, 310, 320, and 600 have single or
| dual cores, run at up to 400MHz, and sell for
| as little as $7 in production quantities, the
| company says.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/STMicroelectronics-SPEAr300-310-320-and-600/?kc=rss

Android comes to landline phones

,----[ Quote ]
| At CeBIT this week, Motorola demonstrated an
| Android-based "HS1001" cordless IP phone
| manufactured by Binatone and built around the
| DSP Group's DECT-compatible XpandR chipset.
| Meanwhile, DSP Group showed its own Android-
| based IP phone reference design based on the
| XpandR II chipset.
|
| For much of the last decade, Linux-based
| landline-based IP phones made regular
| appearances on LinuxDevices, but with the
| rise of mobile phones, such announcements
| have become fewer and farther between. The
| few IP phones we've covered recently are
| typically multimedia tablet/kitchen-computer
| designs, such as the already defunct, Linux-
| based Verizon Hub, built by OpenPeak,
| OpenPeak's Linux-based OpenFrame IP phone, or
| the Android-based Glass reference platform
| from Cloud Telecomputers. Typically, in these
| designs, IP telephony is just one feature
| among many other multimedia and Web browsing
| capabilities.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Motorola-HS1001-and-DSP-Group-Android-Home-Phone/

Recent: