[News] Myth of "Originality" Debunked, Intellectual Monopolies Busy Preserving the Illusion

  • Subject: [News] Myth of "Originality" Debunked, Intellectual Monopolies Busy Preserving the Illusion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 00:15:16 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Cult of Originality

,----[ Quote ]
| I write this not to be âoriginal,â but to
| share what I perceive as true. I share an
| idea because I am lonely. The less my
| reality is reflected back to me, the
| lonelier I become. I want to find âmy
| people,â people who can see what I see,
| who know what I know. Because the arguing
| gets tiring. And it turns out that many
| who argue with me do see what I see and
| know what I know â they just arenât aware
| of it yet.
`----

http://blog.ninapaley.com/2009/12/28/the-cult-of-originality/

RIAA Claims File Sharers Are 'Undermining Humanitarian Efforts In Haiti', But Leaves Out The Facts

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow. The RIAA is getting seriously
| desperate these days. In the past, at
| least, its arguments made a little bit of
| sense, if you didn't understand the
| details or have the data. But these days,
| they're really reaching. We've already
| covered Mitch Bainwol's bizarre attempt to
| link Chinese hackers breaking into Google
| with copyright law -- despite the two
| being totally unconnected. And, now, the
| RIAA is claiming that P2P file sharers
| are "undermining" humanitarian efforts in
| Haiti. Now that's quite a claim, and you
| would think the RIAA would have some
| evidence to back it up, but (of course),
| it doesn't. It's just making stuff up.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100305/0317058431.shtml

Tiny Novato winery wins trademark case against Trek Bicycle

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge in Wisconsin today tossed
| out a trademark-infringement case against
| tiny Novato-based Trek Winery LLC brought
| by Trek Bicycle Corp., one of the largest
| bike manufacturers in North America.
`----

http://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com/18921/tiny-novato-winery-wins-trademark-case-against-trek-bicycle/

Subway, Quiznos Agree to Stop Fighting Over Hard-Hitting Viral Video Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Subway and Quiznos settled their long-
| running deceptive advertising dispute just
| days after trial judge ruled that Quiznos'
| CDA Section 230 defense of its user-
| generated viral video marketing campaign
| is too meaty for summary disposition.
`----

http://pblog.bna.com/techlaw/2010/03/subway-quiznos-agree-to-stop-fighting-over-hardhitting-viral-video-campaign.html

Dissent of the day

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Federal Circuit, which usually
| goes out of its way to unjustly expand the
| contours of patent law, has issued a
| typically outrageous decision holding that
| a U.S. stamp which depicts a view of a
| public Korean War memorial violates the
| copyright of the sculptor who designed it.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002633

First web copyright crackdown coming

,----[ Quote ]
| A coalition of traditional and digital
| publishers this month will launch the
| first-ever concerted crackdown on
| copyright pirates on the web, initially
| targeting violators who use large numbers
| of intact articles.
|
| Details of the crackdown were provided by
| Jim Pitkow, the chief executive of
| Attributor, a Silicon Valley start-up that
| has been selected as the agent for several
| publishers who want to be compensated by
| websites that are using their content
| without paying licensing fees.
`----

http://newsosaur.blogspot.com/2010/03/first-web-copyright-crackdown-coming.html

Archiving Britain's web: The legal nightmare explored

,----[ Quote ]
| A proposal that could give select
| institutions the power to take snapshots
| of websites without their owners'
| permission is being ruminated by our
| Government. Civil servants at the
| Department of Culture, Media and Sport are
| now processing opinions on whether we
| should be archiving websites for future
| generations.
`----

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-03/05/archiving-britain%27s-web-the-legal-nightmare-explored.aspx

New study shows some correlation between free ebooks and higher print sales

,----[ Quote ]
| John Hilton, a doctoral candidate in
| Instructional Psychology and Technology at
| Brigham Young University whose interests
| focus on open education and open access,
| recognizes that there could never be a
| completely controlled study on the matter,
| but that hasnât hindered him in collecting
| as much data as possible. Hilton
| coauthored a study recently published in
| The Journal of Electronic Publishing
| titled âThe Short-Term Influence of Free
| Digital Versions of Books on Print Sales,â
| for which he examined Bookscan sales for
| dozens of print titles before and after
| they were released online for free.
`----

http://bloggasm.com/new-study-shows-some-correlation-between-free-ebooks-and-higher-print-sales

Murdoch's NY Post Continues To Source Articles From Bloggers With No Credit

,----[ Quote ]
| Rupert Murdoch and his minions at News
| Corp. have been going around banging the
| drum that Google and others are "stealing"
| from News Corp. newspapers by linking to
| their stories and sending them traffic.
| But at the same time, they seem to have no
| problem totally taking credit for stories
| that they source from elsewhere. Late last
| year, the Times (of London), which is a
| News Corp. paper was caught publishing
| someone's blog post without their
| permission at all. And then there's the
| News Corp.-owned NY Post, which last year
| had a reporter admit that it was the
| paper's "policy" not to credit bloggers as
| the sources for stories. After that story
| came out, the NY Post insisted that wasn't
| true, but it appears the paper has been
| caught doing it again.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100305/1140348440.shtml

How Balanced Copyright Gives Us As Many Freaky Alice in Wonderlands as We Can Handle

,----[ Quote ]
| Each of these versions are inspired by the
| original Aliceâs Adventures in Wonderland.
| Each was made with commercial motives in
| mind, not some urge to set information
| free (and generally made a lot of money
| for their creators to boot). Each, at
| least according to the descriptions in the
| Times, is bizarre. However what is most
| striking is that each is bizarre in a way
| that was probably unanticipated by Aliceâs
| original author.
`----

http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/2925

If you blog unauthorized "Daily Show" or "Colbert" clips, Viacom will sue your ass

,----[ Quote ]
| News broke yesterday that Comedy Central
| would no longer allow popular video site
| Hulu to present episodes of "The Daily
| Show" and "The Colbert Report."
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/03/if-you-blog-unauthor.html

Senate bill would make state's biodiversity pay off

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.standard.net/topics/utah-legislature/2010/02/02/senate-bill-would-make-states-biodiversity-pay