[News] MAFIAA Uses Haiti Atrocities to Promote Its Bullying, MAFIAA Racket Investigated

  • Subject: [News] MAFIAA Uses Haiti Atrocities to Promote Its Bullying, MAFIAA Racket Investigated
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:58:16 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

If they are doing it, so can we? â RIAA v File sharers (again)

,----[ Quote ]
| In respect of the Haiti fund, Torrentfreak
| may be providing an answer:
|
|     ..they say that those illegally
|     downloading âWe Are The Worldâ are
|     undermining fund raising. However,
|     they leave out the fact that the music
|     industry itself profits big from such
|     charity singles.
|
| So there you go readers, its ok to take
| away from the fund because (and I quote)
| âthe music industry itself profits big
| from such charity singlesâ
|
| [...]
|
| As I have mentioned before the anti/pro
| file sharing argument is equally as
| stubborn on both sides.  To coin a phrase
| âThe unstoppable force meeting the
| immovable objectâ I think is very
| applicable when the RIAA uses emotive
| words like:
|
|     The posting highlights a truly ugly
|     side of P2P piracy â the undermining
|     of humanitarian fundraising efforts
|     via online theft of the âHope for
|     Haiti Nowâ compilation.
|
| Source: RIAA Blog
|
| Now really, is that required? Any
| reasonable person would know that piracy
| would take away funds from the project,
| afterall if I downloaded for free instead
| of buying, then my money (no matter what
| percentage) would be taken from the fund.
| Itâs not rocket science after all.  The
| RIAA in my view makes no friends by trying
| to use emotive words like âtheftâ,
| âunderminingâ, âhumanitarianâ and it was
| very similar to the claims made by FACT in
| the UK when they claimed piracy was linked
| to benefit fraud.  The question I asked at
| the time was, if someone is selling copied
| movies at a market then that is not
| âlegitimate employmentâ (and an offence)
| therefore if that person is claiming
| benefits, itâs hardly benefit fraud as
| they are not in gainful employment in
| regards to legitimacy.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/if-they-are-doing-it-so-can-we-riaa-v-file-sharers-again/

Davenport & Lyons/ACS Law to get their very own warning letter?

,----[ Quote ]
| I digress.  I refer you back to my article
| here where I propose the Digital Economy
| Bill be changed as I think that this type
| of conflict will only become bigger and
| more costly as a government imposed 3
| strikes policy investigates an area which
| in my view requires so many resources to
| be fair and effective that it will do more
| harm than good.  Letâs face it, if the
| âexpertsâ can find themselves referred to
| the SRA, what hope is there for anyone
| else?
|
| I keep repeating myself when I write about
| this topic and it seems always a case of
| one step forward two steps back.  Whilst
| it seems to me we also have FACT basking
| in the glory of removing DVD sellers from
| the streets, the real issue, the real
| damage to the industry in being done
| online by the file-sharer.  Even the price
| of a âpirateâ DVD canât compete with free
| file sharing, especially when the material
| is often newer and far better quality than
| the things you can buy at a âdodgyâ
| market. â Food for thought that not only
| do the entertainment industry suffer as a
| result of file sharing, but also your
| average pirate DVD seller on the street!
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2010/03/06/davenport-lyonsacs-law-to-get-their-very-own-warning-letter/

Recent:

Open Source Maps Are Helping the World Bank Save Lives in Haiti

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fastcompany.com/1554072/open-source-developers-help-the-world-bank-save-lives-in-haiti