[News] Microsoft May be Silencing More Researchers Who Speak About Windows Problems

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft May be Silencing More Researchers Who Speak About Windows Problems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:03:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Exploits Talk Dropped From RSA Agenda

,----[ Quote ]
| An RSA Conference presentation on
| Microsoft (NSDQ:MSFT) application hacks
| and exploits that was originally slated
| for Tuesday was canceled, although it's
| unclear why.
|
| An RSA Conference spokesperson told
| Channelweb.com on Tuesday that the session
| appears to have been canceled in early
| January, but didn't offer a reason for the
| cancellation. A Microsoft spokesperson
| declined to comment on whether the session
| was canceled at Microsoft's behest.
`----

http://www.crn.com/security/223101300;jsessionid=2TH5XPOLTQKVZQE1GHRSKH4ATMY32JVN

Microsoft resumes XP patch distribution; says rootkit remover coming soon

,----[ Quote ]
| In mid-February, Microsoft halted
| automatic distribution of one of its
| Windows patches, blaming the interaction
| of the patch with already-present malware
| on usersâ systems for a rash of blue-
| screen-of-death reports among XP users.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=5459

Microsoft Security Workarounds Available for Zero-Day Vulnerability

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Microsoft-Security-Workarounds-Available-for-ZeroDay-Vulnerability-465011/

Spamhaus: Microsoft's botnet cull had little effect

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's takedown of the Waledac botnet
| has not been effective, according to some
| security researchers.
|
| The throttling of Waledac, which Microsoft
| claimed to have achieved by means of legal
| action last week, has led to no
| appreciable reduction of junk mail coming
| from the botnet, anti-spam organisation
| Spamhaus told ZDNet UK on Tuesday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,40070581,00.htm

Weighing Microsoft's Role in Takedown of Waledac Botnet

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, criticism has come from two main
| areas: Firstly, as Jose Nazario of Arbor
| Networks Inc. , a security solutions
| provider, told The Wall Street Journal,
| the Internet addresses that Microsoftâs
| lawsuit brought down could be a small
| percentage of those used by hackers to
| control the network. "The botnet will
| survive in many cases," said Nazario.
|
| And Richard Cox, the chief information
| officer at anti-spam service Spamhaus told
| ComputerWorld: "If this did affect spam,
| we haven't noticedâ Waledac was not a high
| threat; it's less than 1% of spam
| traffic.â
`----

http://www.internetevolution.com/author.asp?section_id=717&doc_id=188541&f_src=internetevolution_gnews

Sourcefire Partners with Immunet to Deliver Cloud-Based Antivirus Protection

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sourcefire-partners-with-immunet-to-deliver-cloud-based-antivirus-protection-2010-03-02?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Free software to the rescue.

Related:

Microsoft sued by Beijing student for privacy infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Lu argued that Microsoft had violated his legal rights by providing a formal
| contract which had to be accepted in order to proceed with the installation.
`----

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-09/13/content_6718045.htm

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
| that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
| bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
| organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/yahoo_and_microsoft_ink_chinese_blogging_pact/

Microsoft, Yahoo Tailor Ads To Users' Behavior

,----[ Quote ]
| Google will remain on the sidelines â at least for now. But its Web portal
| rivals are stepping up their efforts to use behavioral targeting to make
| display, or banner, ads more relevant to Web site visitors.
`----

http://investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&issue=20070823

New software can identify you from your online habits

,----[ Quote ]
| That is the spectre raised by new research conducted by Microsoft.
| The computing giant is developing software that could accurately
| guess your name, age, gender and potentially even your location,
| by analysing telltale patterns in your web browsing history. But
| experts say the idea is a clear threat to privacy - and may be
| illegal in some places.
`----

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=mg19426046.400&feedId=being-human_rss20
http://tinyurl.com/2lrazk

Microsoft Responds to Re-discovery of Vista Network Slowdowns

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Responds_to_Rediscovery_of_Vista_Network_Slowdowns/1188244273