[News] Apple's Thugs Resort to Raids to Scare Competitors

  • Subject: [News] Apple's Thugs Resort to Raids to Scare Competitors
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:05:52 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Apple, Siemens and Sisvel patent infringement leads to CeBIT booth raid

,----[ Quote ]
| Mama always said that some folks just never
| learn, and we reckon there's plenty of
| wisdom to be had from that very statement.
| Year after year, German police are called in
| to raid select booths at CeBIT (and IFA, to
| be fair), and yet again we've seen a booth
| cleared out at the request of powerful
| lawyers from a few companies you may have
| heard of. Word on the street has it that
| Apple, Siemens and Sisvel were all kvetching
| over patent infringements made by an unnamed
| company exhibiting at last week's show, and
| within an hour or so of the fuzz showing up,
| the whole thing was stripped and a hefty
| fine (â10,000) was levied. Unfortunately,
| the exact details of who was violating what
| remains clouded in mystery, but for whatever
| reason, we get the feeling that something
| extremely similar will be going down in
| Hannover next year. We blame KIRFers
| determination.

Apple calls in the German police for CeBIT raids

,----[ Quote ]
| WHAT DO YOU get when you cross Apple,
| Siemens and Sisvel with the German police at
| CeBIT? Raids of course, with lots of police,
| lawyers, and people stripping booths clean
| of everything electronic.
| Walking around Hall 17 at CeBIT a few hours
| ago, there were several German police
| walking hurriedly through the crowd, talking
| into walkie-talkies. Where police are
| agitated, stories are likely to be found.
| Sure enough, when the police got to their
| destination, there were about 15 more of
| their colleagues surrounding a 5 by 10 meter
| booth of a netbook and e-reader manufacturer
| who explicitly asked not to be identified.

DVB-T Press Release

,----[ Quote ]
| MPEG LA, LLC and SISVEL S.p.A. announce that as of August 26, 2008 the
| administration of the DVB-T licensing program, including the administration
| of all DVB-T Patent Portfolio Licenses previously executed by MPEG LA and
| licensees, has been transferred from MPEG LA to SISVEL.

Taiwanese firm to sue over armed raid at IFA

,----[ Quote ]
| A Taiwanese firm is taking legal action over damage to its reputation after
| an Italian patent troll representing Philips prompted the raid of a Berlin
| consumer electronics show last month.
| Teco was among 69 companies targeted by some 200 armed German custom officers
| during the IFA trade fair in Berlin. The raid was done at the request of
| Sisvel, which administers MP3 and DVD technology patents on behalf of
| Philips. Sisvel had complained that exhibitors at IFA may be infringing on
| patents owned by its client.

Philips could be in the firing line after Sisvel's Berlin patent raids

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronics giant Philips is being threatened with legal action following
| raids at a major German trade fair sparked by Sisvel, the Italian licensing
| company. Sisvel. which administers patents related to MP3 technology on
| behalf of a number of companies including Philips, asked German customs
| authorities to take action against a group of exhibitors at the fair,
| claiming that products they had on show were infringing.

Berlin Court condemns Sisvel's IFA seizures as "illegal"

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Sisvel, Europe's very own "patent troll", was given a serious blow by a
| Berlin Court. Sisvel convinced German public prosecutors to provide some
| helping hands in pressing companies in the mp3 audio field to take licenses
| under patents, owned by Philips and other companies.

German Customs cracks down at IFA

,----[ Quote ]