[News] How Microsoft et al Bribe Analysts and Firms ('Sponsor') to Lie About Market Share

  • Subject: [News] How Microsoft et al Bribe Analysts and Firms ('Sponsor') to Lie About Market Share
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:34:16 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Oh Linux, how shall I count thy installs?

,----[ Quote ]
| I have also heard it said that 76.3% of
| people believe that you put a percentage
| sign behind any random number they will
| believe it to be true.
|
| Research and marketing companies especially
| love statistics. That is how they make
| their money by providing the numbers to
| make their paying customers feel good. Yet
| there is the old adage GIGO, which means
| Garbage In, Garbage Out. It seems to me
| that just about all of the numbers
| regarding operating system installs fall
| into that GIGO category.
|
| Of course bloggers, journalists and article
| writers take those numbers and spin them
| into fanciful stories for their readers to
| eat up like so many cream puffs. These
| fevered outpourings of fanatical minds are
| often used to show how their operating
| system has the most market share and
| consequently is the bees knees and of
| course everyone should be using it.
|
| Where do these statistics come from? Most
| of the time it comes from sales data
| provided by the companies supplying the
| operating systems and this is where the
| problem lies. This is because while
| companies of proprietary operating systems
| actually rent their products, open source
| operating systems are not. So any
| statistics regarding operating system
| market share are automatically bogus and
| can only be used for FUD campaigns.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/oh-linux-how-shall-i-count-thy-installs-37290/

sites that are not included in those Microsoft-sponsored aggregators:

February Market Share Report

,----[ Quote ]
| Operating System 	on WWWUSE 	on W3Counter
| Windows XP 	28.00% 	53.60%
| Linux 		20.00% 	1.55%
| Windows 7 	18.00% 	10.66%
| Windows Vista 	16.00% 	20.07%
| Mac OS X 		13.00% 	8.12%
| Unknown 		3.00% 	under 1%
| Windows 2003 	1.00% 	1.01%
| iPhone OSX 	0.60% 	0.75%
| Android 	0.20% 	0.10%
| Windows 2000 	0.10% 	0.43%
| All Microsoft 	63.10% 	85.77%
| All no Microsoft 	36.80% 	14.23%
`----

http://whatwillweuse.com/2010/03/04/february-market-share-report/

Recent:

Where do you find the worldâs fastest supercomputers?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/02/26/where-do-you-find-the-worlds-fastest-supercomputers/