[News] Free Software Natural Thing to Human Psychology

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Natural Thing to Human Psychology
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:18:41 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Kindness Breeds More Kindness, Study Shows

,----[ Quote ]
| Goodness spurs goodness, they found: A single
| act can influence dozens more.
|
| In a game where selfishness made more sense
| than cooperation, acts of giving were âtripled
| over the course of the experiment by other
| subjects who are directly or indirectly
| influenced to contribute more,â wrote
| political scientist James Fowler of the
| University of California, San Diego, and
| medical sociologist Nicholas Christakis of
| Harvard University.
`----

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/03/kindness-spreads/

Open source makes psychological sense

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCORDING TO a recent study random acts of
| kindness have a very positive impact on humans
| and regularly spread this good feeling to
| others.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/blog-post/1595653/open-source-makes-psychological-sense

Can free software drive the fourth paradigm?

,----[ Quote ]
| The biggest science story to hit the
| mainstream media in the last year was of
| course the big switch on at CERN. What made
| it such a great story for me was not just
| the sheer and audacious enormity of the
| enterprise or the humbling nobility of the
| colossal experiment but the story behind
| the story. That story was the absolutely
| central role of free software philosophy at
| the heart of everything CERN was (and is)
| doing. Despite the false start, CERNâs
| search for the Higgs Boson has got into its
| stride. The same cannot be said for the car
| crash that is climate science, which may
| have inflicted terminal damage on the
| reputation of science. I believe the
| rigorous application of free software
| methodology in conjunction with the Fourth
| Paradigm may save it.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/can_open_source_software_drive_fourth_paradigm

Recent:

The True Spirit of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| News flash: it is these people who drive open source software. Those large,
| reliable open source projects with all of the sparkle and polish? They became
| that way because large groups of people found them useful enough that they
| decided to invest their time in making the project even better. But in all
| cases, for open source software to progress, people have to be willing to
| give up their time and energy for free and with no expectation of reward.
| Open source is driven by pure altruism.
`----

http://www.liveandcode.com/2009/08/12/the-true-spirit-of-open-source/

In Quest of Open Source Load- and Stress-Testing Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| I heard from more than 30 people on every aspect of the subject, and as you
| might imagine, some of the comments hit the cutting room
| floor. Among them, alas, was the full-length response from Alice Kaerast: "I
| understand enough about security to feel comfortable that my code is written
| securely, and the beauty of open source means that there are many people
| actively testing and checking code, all of whom know about detecting
| vulnerabilities better than any software."
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/74594/quest-open-source-load-and-stress-testing-tools

Father of microloans sees end to poverty

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer programmer Tom Bostelmann had felt disconnected from philanthropy as
| a tech guy. Now he works as a consultant to the Grameen Technology Center,
| developing open-source banking systems software.
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/335705_yunus17.html

Related:

Altruism and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The story illustrates a point. That is, open source goals are often
| directed outward, not inward. It's not, I'm going to make money, but
| we're going to accomplish some larger goal.
|
| Often the target of open source ambition is the customer. Open
| source projects drive out costs and bring savings, which multiply
| as customers learn more about their open source tools.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=795

Why Do Some Software Programmers Work for Free?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/odd-numbers/2007/08/31/why-do-some-software-programmers-work-for-free